BMW Werkz banner

Front Suspention Noise

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  victorgallas 
#1 ·
My front suspention makes a lot of noise, and after I drive the car a little it stops.. well, atleast on the left side. I took off my control arm on the right side, and after I put it back in it made noise, like something is lose. I put the arm back in, then pushed down on my car like 10 times, so the joint poped back in. Tighten the nuts and the noise is still there. The rattle is really bad but the performance of the car is fine... Now the left side was fine, up until a few days ago. I think it maybe the strut, but not sure. But there is a weird sqeaking noise.. It started after its been raining a lot. After I drive the car for 5 or so minutes, the noise stops, but it comes back when ever I got on a rough road. Does anyone have an idea what i should check for or replace. I just got all new mounts all around and struts.. New control arm bushings too. I was thinkin about replacin my control arms with new ball joints. Thanks for your help.

-Serge

#3 ·
check your control arm bushings, outter ball joints.

If the rubber bushings have any cracks in them or you can wiggle the stuff held by the bushings at all, replace them in pairs so your handling is eaven and dosn't get all weird by running a stiff bushing on one side and and old, looser one on the other.

#4 ·
Originally posted by theruss1an1@Jan 1 2005, 07:14 PM
My front suspention makes a lot of noise, and after I drive the car a little it stops.. well, atleast on the left side. I took off my control arm on the right side, and after I put it back in it made noise, like something is lose. I put the arm back in, then pushed down on my car like 10 times, so the joint poped back in. Tighten the nuts and the noise is still there. The rattle is really bad but the performance of the car is fine... Now the left side was fine, up until a few days ago. I think it maybe the strut, but not sure. But there is a weird sqeaking noise.. It started after its been raining a lot. After I drive the car for 5 or so minutes, the noise stops, but it comes back when ever I got on a rough road. Does anyone have an idea what i should check for or replace. I just got all new mounts all around and struts.. New control arm bushings too. I was thinkin about replacin my control arms with new ball joints. Thanks for your help.

-Serge
[snapback]262333[/snapback]​

#5 ·
HI,

My car is making the same noise. I get a creeking noise when I turn the wheel to the left. And a little creeking when I stop and then accelerate again. It just started yesterday.......and funny thing is, it's been raining an awful lot lately too. I just had it checked out at an independent place and they say the left strut is bad, actually they said it would be best just to replace it rather than going in and lubricating it. It was a pricey estimate, and so I want a second opinion to be sure it is the strut making noise. So anyone care to swap noise descriptions?

#6 ·
Originally posted by theruss1an1@Jan 1 2005, 08:14 PM

-Serge
[snapback]262333[/snapback]​

you need to change the ball joint. there are 2 per side, normally the outer one fails, but is such a pain to press that one out and then other in that is better for you to get 2 new control arms from Bavauto.com not only the arms come with new ball joints, this ball joints are all metal, so they last way longer and provide mcuh better response.. and by changing the whole arm, you'll do a bolt on fix, so you can DIY. and since you have to get the arm out of the control arm bushing, and those also fail easily, it is a great time to replace them with M3 ones, the M3 have rubber all around the bushing making it stiffer and better feeling but they are rubber so you dont get the harsh feeling of a urethane or someting like..

also do this job in pairs. dont just do one side, that is bad..

and when reinstalling the control arm bushings, you have 30 min before they settle, but you can esily do it on 30 min. so get the parts and get wrenching..

have a good one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.