Front driver seat - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 07:56 PM
3rd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bimmer3214 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Front driver seat

just seems everytime my car is working fine something goes wrong. i was washing and vaccuming out my car so i was in the back seat and titled and moved the seat all the way forward to get the floor then i moved it all the way back and titled it all the way back to get the little creas in the seat. i thin got the seat back to my specs(the most confortable position) and i went back a little to far and now it wont come back up. so i tried to push it all the way down and back up. not such a good idea stuck all the way back liek reclined. thats the only part that doesnt have power now wont move anyway. someone plz help me i cant really afford a new motor for the seats i heard they were like 600$. any suggestions would be great

thnx oh its a 1994 325i convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Hamfisted is on a distinguished road
Motor or gear....

Do you hear the motor trying to move the seatback? Like when you hit the switch does anything happen? Lights dim? If no motor noise at all then it might be the switch or the motor. If you hear the motor try to move the seat but can't then it's the little nylon pinion gear inside the seatback drive box that broke and you'll have to call some junkyards to find a replacement gear. BMW only sells the entire lower seat frame and that is a MAJOR hassle to fix. The easiest fix is to locate another nylon pinion gear that's not broke and swap it into your existing drivebox. Still a hassle but not nearly as bad as having to swap the entire seat frame bottom. If it IS the drivebox nylon pinion gear the other thing you can do is pull both front seats and swap the drive gear out of the passenger side seat, locking it in a standard position while you reassemble the drivebox. Put the good gear in the driver's side drivebox since that's where you will always be sitting and using it. I found a pinion gear up at a junkyard in New York but I don't know if they have too many of 'em. Or if you see a powerseat on Ebay buy the whole seat and get the parts you need that way. I've seen seats go for less than $100. Good luck.

Here's a pic of the seatback drivebox, with the motor connected. Torx bolts hold everything together....

Mike
#3 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 08:39 PM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
thanks for your comment. I dont here any kind of nosie from the seat or any type of moment or even trying to move. the lights dont dim. nothing happens what so ever. and its on the reclining button that doesnt work i can move the seat back in fourt just not the back rest ( after reading my other comment wasnt sure if i made it clear or not). but i have been looking on ebay for a seat but i would rather not pay any money until im absolutly positive.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 05:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Hamfisted is on a distinguished road
A switch or motor....

You'll have to test the leads going into the motor to see if it's getting 12 volts when you hit the switch one way or the other. If it's not getting any voltage then the switch is bad. Or the wiring going into the switch. Do you have a digital multimeter?

Mike
#5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 09:51 PM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
yes i do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)