Front Alignment - NEED HELP - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 05:03 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
L3VND1 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Front Alignment - NEED HELP

Hi guys,

Im new to the forum. Been driving my E36 318is now for about a year.
It is '98 and has the M kit on it.
Ive had a few modifications done to it but I had an incident driving the other day that im concerned about.

I exited a corner and lost control and hit/mounted a traffic island.

I scraped the front spoiler and hit my front right on it pretty hard.
The impact caused a stress point in my windshield and cracked it. Also i had replica E46 M3 (18inch) rims on it that got scratched as well.

However now the right wheel sits about a centimeter further back than the left and scrapes the inside guard when i turn sharply.

Would alignment fix this problem? Or do i have something more seroius on my hands.

I am trying to hold out to friday because I have H&R springs coming to lower the car where they will wheel align there.

The car is drivable but yeah. What do you guys think it is? Would alignment fix it? If not, what is it and how much am i in for?

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 07:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Redbullrr is on a distinguished road
Seems like you bent the Lower Control Arm, this will have to be replaced in order. Thats my opinion.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 02:20 AM
n00b

L3VND1 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
ok. thanks. I'll look into it.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 04:06 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Defintely sounds like a lower control arm. You might also need to replace your lower control arm bushing. The lower control arm i ment to bend in situations like you just had in order to prevent even further destruction of your suspension. Also take a look at your tie rod.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

theruss1an1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to theruss1an1
What said above + check out your ball joint. If you are getting new CA arms you can get some that have ball joints already pressed in, saves labor time and headaches.

-Serge
#6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Threadkiller

bitcore will become famous soon enough bitcore will become famous soon enough
Replace LCA. Replace your LCA bushings (yes, both of them) You may be interested in the solid M3 bushings, I STRONGLY suggest them, it firms up the front quite alot. Replace tie-rods (rodS, both of them). Unless you simply cannot afford it, you may pass on this one (tie rods) IF they are NOT damaged. Check your strut for bends & leaking fluid - replace if it's damged (replace in pairs) - otherwise the fluid will leak out and you will be left with just a spring and no damping = bouncey bouncey. Rebalence your wheels and get it strightened since there surely is a bend in the rim now.

The LCA is not optional, duh, the LCA bushings get destroyed when you remove the control arm from the eyeballs, so you might as well get the M3 ones when you replace it. Tie rods are qute important - if one snaps, you will loose control.

Take it easy dude, when you hit stuff, LOTS of things get damaged. You may not notice the damage under visual inspection, but it's there.

Last edited by bitcore; 06-21-2006 at 05:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)