BMW Werkz banner

Found this under my car today

3K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  '89 635 csi 
#1 ·
Does anyone know where this bolt comes from?

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
Calipers are what clamp the brake pads to the rotors/discs.

Also, please try to keeo this subject on topic. Not about garbage collection. Thats better suited to a PM.

#12 ·
Yup... that appears to be based on your picture with length reference BMW TORX TORX BOLT M12X90 quantity 2 part number 23001222894 transmission mounting bolt, used to mount the transmission to the bell housing and judging by the length I would go as far as saying it is from a manual transmission car lower mounting bolt. Let me know If I am correct, at least about the manual tranny part anyway

#14 ·
Originally posted by nycbmw325is@Sep 16 2004, 09:40 PM
Yup... that appears to be based on your picture with length reference BMW TORX TORX BOLT M12X90 quantity 2 part number 23001222894 transmission mounting bolt, used to mount the transmission to the bell housing and judging by the length I would go as far as saying it is from a manual transmission car lower mounting bolt. Let me know If I am correct, at least about the manual tranny part anyway
Yes there's a manual gearbox in my car. 3 Months ago my BMW dealership has fitted a new clutch in my car (see this topic http://www.bmwforums.com/forum/index.php?s...14749&hl=clutch ) which means that they have removed the gearbox. Can I drive with this problem or should be the first step a visit to the dealership?

#15 ·
Originally posted by bigred318@Sep 16 2004, 03:46 PM
if its from your caliper put it back in before you drive your car. dont want to fool around with how your car brakes haha

David
I already said it wasn't a calpier bolt, as they use allen heads.

#16 ·
Originally posted by El Presidente+Sep 16 2004, 04:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (El Presidente @ Sep 16 2004, 04:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigred318@Sep 16 2004, 03:46 PM
if its from your caliper put it back in before you drive your car. dont want to fool around with how your car brakes haha

David
I already said it wasn't a calpier bolt, as they use allen heads. [/b][/quote]
sorry missed that, it kind of looked like it, atleast the length, anyways about the tranny thing.. im out, but the story seems to go together without it just being worked on etc

David

#17 ·
Originally posted by El Presidente+Sep 16 2004, 04:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (El Presidente @ Sep 16 2004, 04:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigred318@Sep 16 2004, 03:46 PM

David
I already said it wasn't a calpier bolt, as they use allen heads. [/b][/quote]
well if you drive your car up on ramps, or a high enough curb, you should be able to see if the bolt is missing. Luckily based on your picture and the BMW poarts diagram, the length of that bolt indicates that it should be one of the two bottom bolts, which makes it pretty easy to see if it is missing. If it is...

take the bolt and the car back to the dealer... demand to see the service manager, explain that you found the bolt lying on the floor and and tell him that you are very concerned about the shoddy workmanship, the fact that a tourque wrench was not used to assemble tranny back onot the bellhousing correctly, and that you want a very long warranty on your transmission, not the clutch the trasnmission, as as the input shaft bearing could have been subjected to undue wear due to theiur negligence. Make it clear that that you will start by excalating this to the regional manager, and will if need be seek legal council. Take pictures of the bolt at least,

Ok now the good news. this is just a precautionary measure. there is only a very very small chance that any harm was done, but do make sure at the very least that they properly torque and install all the tranny bolts.

One more thing. do not use this approach if you have not confirmed that the bolt is missing . it is possible that they dropped or " lost" that bolt during re-assembly and upon not being able to find it put a new one in, and it just recently became dislodged from its hiding place.

no screaming or profanity.. talk in a calm rational voice, present your case, bring a service manula if you have one, and be firm but polite.

#18 ·
Thanks for all inputs.....

nycbmw325is I think you have found the location of the bolt. Tomorrow (it’s 10.40 p.m. here) I will check if there is one of those missing in the part you have described. If yes, I going to visit the dealership for some explanation!

#19 ·
Originally posted by dutchbmw@Sep 16 2004, 04:36 PM
Thanks for all inputs.....

nycbmw325is I think you have found the location of the bolt. Tomorrow (it’s 10.40 p.m. here) I will check if there is one of those missing in the part you have described. If yes, I going to visit the dealership for some explanation!
If yes, do I get a prize for being the first person to correctly identify this bolt? LOL.

I will tell you why I know what it is... becuase it is a Torx T50 EXTERNAL spline fastner.... which stunning as it may seem, I do not have an appropriate socket for. I was shamed and appaled when i found this out when i was doing some research on starter replacement and will shortly purchase a set of external torx sockets. As to length.. I checked the BMW ETK for bolts tranny bolts that were the right length and there in facxt two of them where i described, and only on the manual tranny in that length (at least for the 1992 model i looked at.)

Can you giys tell I have time on my hands at work these days? LOL

#22 ·
Originally posted by nycbmw325is@Sep 16 2004, 04:40 PM
Second that. There's two large ones on either side of the lower part of the bell housing. Check for the hole and put it back in. But you need like an e12 socket for it.

#23 ·
its deffinatly the tranny bolt. have no fucking idea how it came out, thats not good. when vince did his clutch he had to take those out, and they were really really tight

#24 ·
wow im impressed that nyc was able to identify that bolt so quickly, it would probably be a good idea to get that bolt in asap

#25 ·
nycbmw is THE man...if there is anyone on the forum with more helpful information and a better understanding of bmw's I will eat my hat!! :cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.