found a 318ti need some advice - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 11:50 PM
4th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PrInG has a spectacular aura about PrInG has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to PrInG
(Thread Starter)
found a 318ti need some advice

Hey guys hope you can help. I found a 318 ti on ebay, that I think Is a good deal. it has an exhaust and stuff and it really looks very nice. but I'm really worried about how slow it is. Sometimes I like to race around a little bit. and if this car is gonna be slower than my sister cavalier I dont' want it. Please help me out.. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 12:18 AM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
post the ebay link... if your mechanically inclined, theres no reason for this to be slow... may cost a wee bit but itll be worth it...
#3 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 01:08 AM
LYFE SUCK5

Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Ivan
yah im getting a m50 inline six for my car the 318is is too slow, but the 318ti is a bit quicker. 0-60 is around mid to low 8s i believe which is about the same and maybe a bit quicker than a cavalier, but it really depends on what year and model it is. but yeah buy it and if youre not happy with the peformance you can get the 318 turbo kit which will take the hp up well over 200 or swap in a bigger motor like im doing. at the end of the day its still a bmw and a nice car, cavaliers are shit no matter what.

Last edited by Ivan; 06-14-2006 at 01:10 AM.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 01:15 AM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CUSTO...QQcmdZViewItem oh and how much does a turbo kit cost??

Last edited by PrInG; 06-14-2006 at 01:18 AM.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

bob318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to bob318
dude my car is pretty fast and all i have is catback exhaust and a knn air filter. its been a great car.

Custome MagnaFlow catback exhaust, Millie miglia 17inch rims, Goodyear Eagle F1 tires, Carbon headlight brows, Carbon badges, Clear corners in the front,Clear sidemarkers and Custome smoked taillights.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 01:20 AM
LYFE SUCK5

Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Ivan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrInG
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CUSTO...QQcmdZViewItem oh and how much does a turbo kit cost??
if you get that first thing id do is get new headlights and corners

and whats up with that dash? that doesnt look like an e36 dash at all
#7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 01:26 AM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
how would it compare to a 944 n.a.? is there anyway I could get it to compare to one without getting the turbo? thanks I don't know what is up with the dash I'm not familiar.
#8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 01:29 AM
1st Gear Member

My dash is the same and the 95 325i

Custome MagnaFlow catback exhaust, Millie miglia 17inch rims, Goodyear Eagle F1 tires, Carbon headlight brows, Carbon badges, Clear corners in the front,Clear sidemarkers and Custome smoked taillights.
#9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 01:33 AM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob318
dude my car is pretty fast and all i have is catback exhaust and a knn air filter. its been a great car.

you say it is pretty fast.. What is pretty fast? and how hard are parts to come buy I heard it is pretty rare?
#10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Its not hard to come by parts. You can find anything on the interent.

#11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 01:39 AM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrInG
how would it compare to a 944 n.a.? is there anyway I could get it to compare to one without getting the turbo? thanks I don't know what is up with the dash I'm not familiar.
m3 swap??

but yeah it looks nice... only thing i dont like abuot it is the lights... and what is with that random blue piece in the hatch?? what happened to the red and black theme there???

Last edited by saltshaker185; 06-14-2006 at 01:46 AM.
#12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 01:42 AM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
I don't think I have enough money, and to take on the engine swap I'd have to convince my dad to help me out on that one, he is the mechanic. and knowin him even if I was rolling in cash he wouldn't get around to it till next year.
#13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 01:51 AM
The Messican

MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MiguelACA
that ti looks pretty nice, already has a bunch of mods, those bolt on should make it faster than it is stock obviously, and yea, it will be faster than a cavalier, i had 94 318i and loved it, wastn a rocket, but its not as slow as they make it out to be, and its a manual..mine was an auto, so u should be able to get it up to speed faster than an auto

A morning of awkwardness is better than a night of loneliness
#14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 08:58 AM
Neutral Member

wesmyth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wesmyth Send a message via Yahoo to wesmyth
i'm against it

I've got a 1997 318i. I don't like the ti's rear. Second the 318 is 1.9L and yes its slow. How slow...well when I help move my gf from Myrtle Beach back to Clemson I had my car loaded with her stuff. So a couple hundred pounds later a Dodge Neon SRT wanted to race. His bad driving pissed her off, she's in the car behind me and we are talking on cell phones. Also I have never raced my car and I have a manual. So with cell in hand I lost by 2 car lengths. One part is my fault for crappy driving skills. The next is the added weight. But I still felt that having a 325i would have made things alot different. I could be wrong. IMO save up some more money.

I think I have found(own) the beaten foster child of 318's.
#15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 09:11 AM
Neutral Member

wesmyth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wesmyth Send a message via Yahoo to wesmyth
engine swap

Lets say an engine cost around 3k which i've seen a www.bimmerworld.com. Just checked they don't have that engine anymore. But lets say you get one for that price. You still have to get a new differential. You'll be upgrading from 4 to 6 cyclinders and that only seems reasonable. But lets also say you can reuse everything else. SO 3k for engine and 2k for the diff. That's 1750 more than that ti by itself. Also if you look at that car you see the owner had really bad taste. not knocking the red and black thats good but those lights! ouch ugly. That and he M badged the car. Bad form in my book. Unless he did a full engine swap himself and your buying a ti with a M3 motor, tranny, diff, and axles. then yes buy the car. Also his CAI needs a shield. I think saltshaker would agree on that.

I think I have found(own) the beaten foster child of 318's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)