Flywheel DIY? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2006, 07:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
For Teh Walrus?

Car: 1980 635csi euro
Photos:
WALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to WALSRU Send a message via MSN to WALSRU
Flywheel DIY?

Has anyone here replaced their own flywheel? I'm looking into getting a 10 pound by the end of the month and I think with a weekend in the garage I can probably tackle it myself. Any links, tips, hints, pics, etc.?

1980 635csi Euro . . . Current
1985 535i . . . Soon to be parted out
2001 Subaru Forester . . . DD
WALSRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2006, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
For Teh Walrus?

Photos:
WALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to behold
used:

Old 09-12-2006, 12:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car: 2004 ZHP 6SPD
Photos:
bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to bimmerguy82
Quote:
Originally Posted by WALSRU
Has anyone here replaced their own flywheel? I'm looking into getting a 10 pound by the end of the month and I think with a weekend in the garage I can probably tackle it myself. Any links, tips, hints, pics, etc.?

MCS - Modification Tutorials: UUC 8.5 lb Flywheel with e34 M5 Clutch

here walsru, see if this helps. it's the only one i could find right now. just ignore the M5 clutch part.

|AA stage 1 software| UUC light flywheel and clutch| UUC EVO 3 ssk | K&N Intake | Ebay Headers |

BMWCCA member#407674

Founding member of the hit 145 mph in my almost stock 325i BMW club.

Last edited by bimmerguy82; 09-12-2006 at 01:04 PM.
bimmerguy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
For Teh Walrus?

Photos:
Thanks, I'll definitely use that.

Went to pick up a part for a different car yesterday and talked to my mechanic about it. The flywheel I can do, I'm a little more confident than I was. Of course, something else came up. He can loan me a stock cam so that my car isn't out of commision while they're being reground. That was the only reason I was going to do the flywheel first.

256 cam kit or 10lb aluminum flywheel. That's the question.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car: 2004 ZHP 6SPD
Photos:
bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to bimmerguy82
Quote:
Originally Posted by WALSRU
Thanks, I'll definitely use that.

Went to pick up a part for a different car yesterday and talked to my mechanic about it. The flywheel I can do, I'm a little more confident than I was. Of course, something else came up. He can loan me a stock cam so that my car isn't out of commision while they're being reground. That was the only reason I was going to do the flywheel first.

256 cam kit or 10lb aluminum flywheel. That's the question.

Hey walsru- if i were you i would do the flywheel first. why?
first off, it's a good deal cheaper and not as labor intensive. plus with all of that rotational mass gone, your car will pull alot harder. my cousin's e30 has just a chip and lightened flywheel and he pulls way harder than me.
Also if you do the cam kit yourself, you might need a special tool for taking the vanos off. just my two cents.

|AA stage 1 software| UUC light flywheel and clutch| UUC EVO 3 ssk | K&N Intake | Ebay Headers |

BMWCCA member#407674

Founding member of the hit 145 mph in my almost stock 325i BMW club.
bimmerguy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsanders82
Hey walsru- if i were you i would do the flywheel first. why?
first off, it's a good deal cheaper and not as labor intensive. plus with all of that rotational mass gone, your car will pull alot harder. my cousin's e30 has just a chip and lightened flywheel and he pulls way harder than me.
Also if you do the cam kit yourself, you might need a special tool for taking the vanos off. just my two cents.
His car doesn't have Vanos.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
For Teh Walrus?

Photos:
Wurd

Plus, since no one offers the 256 cam anymore I'm getting a regrind. And it's only needed on one cam (swap intake to exhaust side)! So for around $400 either way the price is really close.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
I'd go with the lgihtened flywheel for your car. Those faster revs will defntely help you out. Put in shorter ratio differential and you could defintely have a pretty decently accelerating vehicle. From there save up for a supercharger and you'll be set to spank most of the cars on the road.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Car: 95 M3
Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
+1 i read somewhere that ever like 6 lbs off rotating is equal to like 150 lbs of regular weight... not sure how accurate it is... but i know from personal experiences.. its a nice mod to look into...
saltshaker185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
For Teh Walrus?

Photos:
The cam is supposed to put me at about 200whp tho . . .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)