Fishtail - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 10:46 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GBears is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
ok... this is the first time i've used this forum so ok. Well I have a 1995 325I, Automatic. I was wondering if it is possible to pull off fishtails and doughnuts even though it is a automatic, and if it is possible, how. Ok thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

bryan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
although i wouldn't recomend it, yes it is possible. now fishtailing is one thing and drift racing is diffrent.but just about anycar can fishtail given the right conditions i.e. rain,snow,bald tires and a mixture of the other two, or just a bunch of horsepower.
i hesitate to tell you how because it will only tear things up, but if you are like in a parking lot just get going and turn it one way real quck and nail the gas at the same time. it will either fishtail or just smoke the insied tire. but again i really wouldn't do it becasue it can serioulsy break stuff like transmissions and/or rear differentials. if you absolutly have to do dounuts and stuff do it in the snow although it still isn't the best way to treat your car it is a lot easier on the parts. i have first hand experience what a dry spot can do to a drive train while doing dounuts in the snow. if you have both tires spinning real fast and one catches a dry spot of pavement it can blown the spyder gears right out of your rear end.

i guess all i can say without trying to sound like i'm telling you what to do is that if you do decide to fishtail the car much or do dounuts on dry pavement be preapird to fix things or pay to have them fixed because i can almsot garauntee you something will break. and i don't wanna sound hipocritical either because everybody does dounuts in the snow sometime. i just wouldn't recomend doing it a lot on dry pavment.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 12:21 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
My friends automatic transmission blew from fishtailing.

I have spoken.

#4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 12:21 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Oh, and welcome. Hope you like it here

#5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 01:42 AM
Power Shifting

Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
why would u abuse your car like that???

donuts= bad!!

oh and welcome!

-SOLD..
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2229108/1 *UPDATED 8.25.06*
R.I.P Fast 6

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
#6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 04:26 PM
n00b

GBears is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Ok thanks guys, i didn't really know it was that bad for the transmission, i thought it might just hurt the wheels or even the suspension. thanks a lot
#7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 05:33 PM
1st Gear Member

aheath is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to aheath
turn off your ACS (correct me if I'm wrong)
#8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 10:12 PM
Threadkiller

bitcore will become famous soon enough bitcore will become famous soon enough
Dropping it into gear will destroy any normal car transmisson. Manual or automatic, it dosn't matter. It fucks up automatics more because of how the gears work.
Now, if you take a turn really hard and just stomp the gas and the rear wheels start spinning like nuts, That's not too bad on the driveline. (more bad for the suspinsion being thrown around in directions other than up and down) Just try not to go over different surfaces that have varying ammounts of friction while the wheels are spinning. (like from water to dry pavement - that puts a lot of instantanious stress on the whole car)

You NEED an LSD (limited slip differential) to do this. If you do not know if you have one, odds are you do NOT (you would have an Open differential). Open diffs are really easy to tear up since the inner gears are so small and when they start spinning really fast (IE: when one wheel is still and the other is spinning like crazy) they can get a little jittery or something and they just chew themselves to pieces. Even the most basic LSD prevents this from happening by reducing the amount of wheel speed difference between the two wheels.

My buddy did doughnuts in the dirt in his truck a lot. His diff gears were ground SMOOTH. ZERO teeth. (they wern't broken off, it looked like the teeth were polished off) ...So be careful. (Since he had a chevvy, LSD's were cheeper than a BMW LSD. he probably only paid 1,000 to have a brand new 'positraction' diff put in, whereas I'd have to pay 2,000 just for the differentail)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)