First Bmw , Tried a lot of things STILL HAVE ISSUES! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 10:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
thre318is is on a distinguished road
Garage
Exclamation First Bmw , Tried a lot of things STILL HAVE ISSUES!

My 318is is making a crazy vibration in the cabin when first started and cold. I have no idea what it could be. I cleaned the ICV changed the MAF , Oil change , spark plugs and wires , ECT... but the vibration wont go away. Its only at Idle and gradually gets lighter as the car warms up.

Not to mention , I took a right turn into an apartment complex parking lot and the sudden change in ground level caused the front to sort of bottom out . I heard a scraping noise and this is where the vibration became vicious. this was happening before the bottom out but that made it worse. you can feel it in the seats and the steering wheel.

Does anyone know what the hell could be going on with my car?
thre318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thre318is View Post
My 318is is making a crazy vibration in the cabin when first started and cold. I have no idea what it could be. I cleaned the ICV changed the MAF , Oil change , spark plugs and wires , ECT... but the vibration wont go away. Its only at Idle and gradually gets lighter as the car warms up.

Not to mention , I took a right turn into an apartment complex parking lot and the sudden change in ground level caused the front to sort of bottom out . I heard a scraping noise and this is where the vibration became vicious. this was happening before the bottom out but that made it worse. you can feel it in the seats and the steering wheel.

Does anyone know what the hell could be going on with my car?
Welcome to the Werkz......

You should check your motor mounts, have a friend power brake the car, while you observe the engine compartment, look for excessive engine movement, left & right, do it in forward & reverse, also check your trans mounts & check for any damage underneath where the car bottomed out, exhaust, etc.

jb
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1995 BMW 325i 5 Speed
Photos:
theluis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyBgood View Post
Welcome to the Werkz......

You should check your motor mounts, have a friend power brake the car, while you observe the engine compartment, look for excessive engine movement, left & right, do it in forward & reverse, also check your trans mounts & check for any damage underneath where the car bottomed out, exhaust, etc.

jb
very true... my car was making a slight vibration and it was cus one of my exhaust hangers was loose
theluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Garage
Thanks for the quick feed back I appreciate it, sort of expected the 318 jokes to roll in !

Ive heard a few friends with m3's tell me to check my motor and tranny mounts also but I don't know exactly where to look. sorry its my first bimmer . A little more complicated to work on than the Accord I sold to buy This baby!!! (well worth it)

Where exactly do I look for the transmission and motor mounts located ? ?
Old 10-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
General Chaos

Car: ///M3,Corolla
Photos:
SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
RealOEM.com BMW E36 318is Engine Suspension / Damper
Old 10-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Garage
Ill also check that thanks , its dark so ill have to check the mounts tomorrow after class if i can figure this out...
Old 10-24-2010, 10:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Garage
The motor mounts are fine I had a friend check on them. The major issue was really after i bottomed out. Immediately after the car started making some nasty knocking ugly vibrations inside the cabin. Im tight on cash right now , (college student) but i need to get this figured out before the winter comes.

let me know if im leaving out any information that could be helpful for diagnosis. when i shift to neutral the vibration gets extremely light , but still detectable. but sitting at a light in drive its almost unbearable. performs perfectly fine. great idle and everything but the vibrations killing me !!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Garage
problem solved.......

there was a bar maybe a stability bar , or anti roll bar under the bottom of the headers where they turn to the bottom part of the car . this was bent and pushing up on my exhaust so it was shaking my whole cabin.
i removed it and saw there was a spot rubbed clean where the exhaust was touching. started my car up and it was smooth as a babies bottom ! only thing is i cant exactly figure out what the bar was for because it doesnt look like any other anti sway bar ive seen installed on an e36. it was only held on by one bolt on each side .

I feel like just buying a new kit and having it installed
Old 10-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thre318is View Post
problem solved.......

there was a bar maybe a stability bar , or anti roll bar under the bottom of the headers where they turn to the bottom part of the car . this was bent and pushing up on my exhaust so it was shaking my whole cabin.
i removed it and saw there was a spot rubbed clean where the exhaust was touching. started my car up and it was smooth as a babies bottom ! only thing is i cant exactly figure out what the bar was for because it doesnt look like any other anti sway bar ive seen installed on an e36. it was only held on by one bolt on each side .

I feel like just buying a new kit and having it installed
Great news, I told you to look in the area for damage........

jbg
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Garage
yeah lol I wish I was on here 300 dollars and 10 headaches ago.

Thanks bro !!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jess318i is on a distinguished road
i have the same problem wit my 318i couldn figure out wat was going on! must check this out!!
jess318i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Garage
yeah if youve bottomed out check to see if anything is touching your exhaust. . . .

cant believe the mechanic I was referred to missed that.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
caodan2010 is on a distinguished road
its ok thre318is we all make mistakes in life
Old 01-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Garage
Well, after a few electrical problems came up , My brother in law and I decided to post it up for sale. He is going to let me drive his 328 until im done with college.

SOOOO

Maybe someone who knows more about bimmers then we do can put it to use , use parts or something, I just DO NOT what to see it go completely down the crapper ya know ?

sad day but I cant afford trying to fix it anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)