BMW Werkz banner

First BMW...e36 possible rod knock ...with VID

5K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  therompster 
#1 ·
i finally bought my first bmw, e36 95 325i convertible....with this noise...guy told me it was an exhaust leak....can anyone listen to this and tell me what they thimk?? thank you....

YouTube - CIMG0850

#4 ·
thanks for the welcome....and your opinions, what about the clicky noise heard faintly below the exhaust leak...starts at :17 into the video and lasts the rest of the vid...thanks again guys, also do you know where i can get a replacement console arm rest? and sorry for all the questions, but would an indy mechanic be able to fix the softtop lining and seals, and maybe motor? how much would it cost you think? my semi auto softtop wont come up or down, infact no noise at all with the press of the button....thanks guys!

#16 ·
That is not a head problem....witeshark is correct.....coolant in oil & coolant in exhaust are signs of a bad head, sweet white smelling smoke coming out of the tail pipe.

Sounds like you have an exhaust leak in any of these gasket area's shown in pics below:3, 6, & 8. or in that general area....

johnny,

Attachments

#19 ·
That would definitley sound like an exhaust leak......because, that is exactly what was exhausting, combusted pressure. Great news, so you tightened it down & everything is Ok!

johnny,

#24 ·
ok so the original noise went away.....now there is a knocking sound, they told me it may be a bad head or cam, becasue of the losse spark plugs......do you guys know who i can make sure, and if its one of those problems, how much is that to fix, its my only car and i need to drive it to work, what should i do?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.