Was Fine, Then Temp Redlined... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2005, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Casey3561 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down

Today, I stopped by the grocery store to pick up some junk for dinner. When I parked it, the temp gauge was top dead center- precisely halfway. Get in, idle for a second while I get settled, pull forward a few feet into a faraway spot to check something, and the dang temp gauge nearly redlined. Check Engine light and all.

After much cursing, I popped the hood and let it cool a little. Checked the radiator- normal. Checked the fault codes- normal. Opened the radiator and peered in, fluid nice and clean. Started it, fluid ran out, verifying that the water pump is working. So that leaves me thinking.

Is it the thermostat, which would be cheap, or the fan clutch, which would be a good bit worse? How bad will I get beat up on these? Could it be something simple like the PO not flushing the radiator, and a flush and fill fixes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2005, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car: E30 318i, E30 318is, E30 M3
Photos:
dvmotorsports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Casey3561@Jun 9 2005, 05:43 PM
Today, I stopped by the grocery store to pick up some junk for dinner. When I parked it, the temp gauge was top dead center- precisely halfway. Get in, idle for a second while I get settled, pull forward a few feet into a faraway spot to check something, and the dang temp gauge nearly redlined. Check Engine light and all.

After much cursing, I popped the hood and let it cool a little. Checked the radiator- normal. Checked the fault codes- normal. Opened the radiator and peered in, fluid nice and clean. Started it, fluid ran out, verifying that the water pump is working. So that leaves me thinking.

Is it the thermostat, which would be cheap, or the fan clutch, which would be a good bit worse? How bad will I get beat up on these? Could it be something simple like the PO not flushing the radiator, and a flush and fill fixes?
[snapback]352172[/snapback]
I have the same exact porblem right now. I think it is just the Thermostat. I'll let you know alittle more tommorow after the repair.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Ljk619 is an unknown quantity at this point
After you've driven your car for a bit then parked it is normal for the temp. to go up pas the middle mark reason being, unless you've parked your car for hours on end, then chances are your engine hasn't cooled that much, and much of the heat is just sitting under the hood due to no air passing through like when you're driving. once you get the car moving to cruising speed it should go down. But if the temperature gauge is going past about 4/5 of the way then you got a problem.

Does your fan come on when the temp starts to rise past 3/4?

///M The most powerful letter in the alphabet
Ljk619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
loftygoals is an unknown quantity at this point
It's most likely the fan clutch. They are a fairly common point of failure. If you were close to over heating, make sure you have the entire cooling system checked out. A lot of pressure build up in the system during an over heat. Check the thermostat housing as well. The stock ones are plastic and have a tendency to crack under stress.

-bj

1999 BMW ///M3 Convertible | 1994 BMW 525i | 1983 Porsche 944 Race Car (aka ///M944)
loftygoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 06:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
bad man working is an unknown quantity at this point
The reason the gauge jump up so quickly is the gauge electronically damped to keep the needle in the middle as the thermostat and fan cut in and out When you stop for a short time the engine temp goes up because there’s nothing to cool it. Your engine must have been on the edge of the damping limit when you stopped so when you started of again it went into the red. As to the fault that causing it to overheat go for the thermostat first, they are common and M43 engine have problems with head gaskets normally high mileage for the fan coupling
bad man working is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 08:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Gator is an unknown quantity at this point
It could also be that the electric fan didn't kick in as the temp started to rise. When the car stopped the temp would rise unless the electric fan kicked in. Also the electric fan does most of the cooling when the car is idling or at slow speed. If thefan doesn't start it's most likely the temp sensor screwed into the bottom of the radiator.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 08:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
What I discovered with my 750 was that even with a good (new) aux fan switch that in traffic in S.W. Florida, and aux fan at high speed, if the viscous fan clutch is bad, the aux fan will not save you.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 01:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Well, just heard back...

Thermostat and fan clutch. $400. Not sure on a water pump, he hasn't checked yet, but I'm fairly sure it would have been swapped for a metal impeller at 140K, right?
Old 06-10-2005, 09:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car: E30 318i, E30 318is, E30 M3
Photos:
dvmotorsports is on a distinguished road
Mine wasn't the thermostat either. But I think it's the AC compressor.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Water pump, thank God, was changed previously to a metal impeller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)