Finally! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2006, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
318itx is on a distinguished road
Finally!

after weeks and weeks, i finally got the 318i. its a 98 318i with forest green paint. i love the car but i was actually looking for an automatic, but its all good cuse all the other cars i've had are standard. either way... a few questions

1. i have the harman kardon system installed on my car, im wondering if theres a way to install my Alpine DVD player onto these speakers? the guy at car toys was saying that its not possible, true or not?

2. i think that the dealership that i bought this car from took the 6 CD changer out, any way to know for a fact that the car came standard with this cd player? i mean its pretty obvious since the damn wires are dangling and the mounting bracket is still there. just to make sure, where exactally is the 6cd changer mounted? so i know that these are the right wires. thanks for the help guys!
318itx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2006, 10:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
PS. any other features that aren't obvious that i should know about? i just found out about the turning the keys clockwise when locking the door,and holding it for it to raise up your windows(pretty slick i might add) but any other features like that i should know about? thanks!
Old 01-03-2006, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
also..(sorry bout all this) but in my trunk i noticed two little circles that say prewired for BMW phone(or something along those lines) and it also says pre wired for BMW security device or something. does mine have a security system? im guessing not but it sounds like its pre wired, so does this make it easier for you to hook up a security system and stuff? im just curious cuse if i can just easily hook up keyless entry or whatever, then that'd be great!
Old 01-03-2006, 11:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
kyle_baker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by 318itx
after weeks and weeks, i finally got the 318i. its a 98 318i with forest green paint. i love the car but i was actually looking for an automatic, but its all good cuse all the other cars i've had are standard. either way... a few questions

1. i have the harman kardon system installed on my car, im wondering if theres a way to install my Alpine DVD player onto these speakers? the guy at car toys was saying that its not possible, true or not?
congratz on the car! you could install a small FM modulator which would run the audio through a preset radio station that you tune into to hear it. thats the only way i can think of.

Quote:
2. i think that the dealership that i bought this car from took the 6 CD changer out, any way to know for a fact that the car came standard with this cd player? i mean its pretty obvious since the damn wires are dangling and the mounting bracket is still there. just to make sure, where exactally is the 6cd changer mounted? so i know that these are the right wires. thanks for the help guys!
the 6cd changer is mounted in the trunk on the right side right behind the right taillight. you can call the dealership and give them your vin number and they can tell you what features the car came with stock.

Quote:
PS. any other features that aren't obvious that i should know about? i just found out about the turning the keys clockwise when locking the door,and holding it for it to raise up your windows(pretty slick i might add) but any other features like that i should know about? thanks!
there are alot of little cool features! gas door locks, double locking, code to lock the car down completely, etc. plenty of em! the windows should drop about a half inch when you open the doors and then when you close them they should tighten up about a half inch. pretty neat!

Quote:
also..(sorry bout all this) but in my trunk i noticed two little circles that say prewired for BMW phone(or something along those lines) and it also says pre wired for BMW security device or something. does mine have a security system? im guessing not but it sounds like its pre wired, so does this make it easier for you to hook up a security system and stuff? im just curious cuse if i can just easily hook up keyless entry or whatever, then that'd be great!
you can usually tell if there is a security system installed by looking for a small alarm horn under the hood somewhere behind the passenger side headlights. it would be obvious if it's there. it is also possible that it could have been removed. once again the dealership can tell you this for sure with your vin number. the tags you saw simply mean that your car is ready for plug and play security system and phone!
kyle_baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
about the windows lowering down, i don't get that? i have heard about it but never seen it happen? is this only on 2 doors? thanks for the help on the stuff, i'll check out about the CD player and the security system. but about the double locking? and the windows thing? any info on that? and the windows lowering..is that only on some cars?
Old 01-03-2006, 11:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
ok so i found out no security system..i didn't see a siren under the car. but, i was intrigued with what i saw. right behind the passenger headlights near the passenger fender there is a little box, with a weak metal piece that it seems to work as a sensor or something? when this metal piece is pushed down it clicks on a button. what does this do? i hope this is descriptive enough. thanks
Old 01-03-2006, 11:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
Quote:
about the windows lowering down, i don't get that? i have heard about it but never seen it happen? is this only on 2 doors? thanks for the help on the stuff, i'll check out about the CD player and the security system. but about the double locking? and the windows thing? any info on that? and the windows lowering..is that only on some cars?
possibly so

Quote:
ok so i found out no security system..i didn't see a siren under the car. but, i was intrigued with what i saw. right behind the passenger headlights near the passenger fender there is a little box, with a weak metal piece that it seems to work as a sensor or something? when this metal piece is pushed down it clicks on a button. what does this do? i hope this is descriptive enough. thanks
not sure what peice you are talking about, i'll have to go look, lol. any pics?
Old 01-04-2006, 12:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
It may be the switch for the underhood light. The window lowering is only on the 2-doors.
1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
tomctx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomctx
It may be the switch for the underhood light. The window lowering is only on the 2-doors.
sweet! now thats something i didn't even know about. do the 2drs have a light under the hood as well? and what exactly does it look like?
Old 01-05-2006, 07:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
I said maybe. Having perused the underhood, I can find no light.used: My first mistake for the year. But now I'm curious as to why the switch. I will check further tomorrow, weather permitting. Sorry about that.
1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
tomctx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomctx
I said maybe. Having perused the underhood, I can find no light.used: My first mistake for the year. But now I'm curious as to why the switch. I will check further tomorrow, weather permitting. Sorry about that.
lol, dang it, you got my hopes up so high and now...well now i'm just depressed, lol. oh well. wishful thinking tom
Old 02-11-2006, 09:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
speedcrazy1532 is on a distinguished road
The switch could be something similar to a hood pin. a hood pin disables the car from starting if the hood its up. That switch could also be part of the "security ready" setup of your car, so it may not do anything yet since you have no security system.
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)