Final Strut Solution: Bilstein vs. Stock (Sach) vs. Monroe? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2008, 01:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
quality

Car: 2001 330i & 2011 550i
Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Final Strut Solution: Bilstein vs. Stock (Sach) vs. Monroe?

I'm at 161,000 miles on my odo. My front ride is really horrible over rough roads and they are A LOT of them in NYC so I'm reminded every minute I'm driving that I need to replace the front suspension.

I'm looking to replace the OEM struts on my car during my Control Arm/Tie Rods replacement.

BavAuto sells these three brands with Bilstein Heavy Duty being both the cheapest and most popular replacement part. The Boge/Sachs OEM cost more so I'm confused as to what to get. And nothing much is said about Monroe anywhere so I'm assuming the are going to be shitty quality.

What I want; Regular ride comfort with secure handling like you get with any new BMW that will be durable and last the rest of the car's lifespan. I DON'T WANT SPORTS or LOWERED thank you very much.

What should I get here? Bilstein Heavy Duty or Sachs/Boge/OEM?

Also a mechanic says it will be $500 for the labor just for the Control arms alone. Says the BMW realignment needs some "special" computer software.

Does that sound about right?

Old 05-09-2008, 07:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car: 1991 318is, 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
Photos:
Nick_318is is on a distinguished road
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nick_318is
Go with the Bilstein HD, I don't remember right off hand what I paid for my recent suspension overhaul, I will check when i get home tonight (tierods-control arms-shocks). I know the shop I went to charged about $120 for an alignment and they would goto specs I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammahamma View Post
If I wanted to date you, I would have bought you dinner first.
Nick_318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mr. Bacon

Car: '08 Rabbit / E30 325is
Photos:
dannyb is a glorious beacon of lightdannyb is a glorious beacon of lightdannyb is a glorious beacon of lightdannyb is a glorious beacon of lightdannyb is a glorious beacon of lightdannyb is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to dannyb
Go Bilstein, 500$ for control arms labor WOW!! That seems outrageous, I never heard of a our cars needing special software. My mecanic aligned my car for 60$ and no special software. Can't you do the work yourself and just get it aligned?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven
that's my whore ; )
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1992 BMW 318i
Photos:
Dilly Ray is on a distinguished road
personally if you want the same ride and comfort that it came with from factory, than i would go with the Boge
Dilly Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Photos:
Garage
As promised my pricing on labor:

$255 for Struts all around
$85 for Tierods
$170 for control arms and bushings
$120 Alignment
$630 in labor Total.

I supplied all the parts with the exception of new shocks/stuts since they weren't on the game plan. If your guy will do it all for $500 sounds like a good deal.

Quote:
Old 05-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_318is View Post
As promised my pricing on labor:

$255 for Struts all around
$85 for Tierods
$170 for control arms and bushings
$120 Alignment
$630 in labor Total.

I supplied all the parts with the exception of new shocks/stuts since they weren't on the game plan. If your guy will do it all for $500 sounds like a good deal.
err which control arms did you use?

i hope you opted for the OE Lemfoerders and not the Meyle ones as the Meyle ones tend to be crap...

Del get the Bilsteins as they ride amazingly smooth yet still offer that awesome precision handling...be sure to get OE lemfoerder control arms though...they are worth the extra money

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!

Last edited by gotKRAUT; 05-09-2008 at 04:41 PM.
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Montizzle is a glorious beacon of lightMontizzle is a glorious beacon of lightMontizzle is a glorious beacon of lightMontizzle is a glorious beacon of lightMontizzle is a glorious beacon of light
Bilsteins are great for everyday driving. Ive got em, and I drive my car everyday...hard. DO NOT get monroe's. You will be replacing them fast, and they ride like shit
Old 05-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
iF you want comfort get the Bilstien Touring struts. They are only about 15% stiffer than stock where as the HD are more stiff than that.
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
kqalhamad is on a distinguished road
E60 accessories

is it possible to retorfit the new (2008) rear light indicators-my car is E60 -2005. Also interested in installing TV & DVD player, Hamann edition race wide body kit, where should i find cheap offers on the internet? i will be in Munich at the end of this month-can you somthing there
kqalhamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Photos:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotKRAUT View Post
err which control arms did you use?

i hope you opted for the OE Lemfoerders and not the Meyle ones as the Meyle ones tend to be crap...

Del get the Bilsteins as they ride amazingly smooth yet still offer that awesome precision handling...be sure to get OE lemfoerder control arms though...they are worth the extra money
I believe they were the oem arms, I bought them brand new for a nice price from someone who was going to do a complete suspension overhaul but then sold the car. I got some M3 offset bushings to go with them for a little more camber/caster.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)