Fender Benders are a drag - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2006, 12:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
rborak318iS is an unknown quantity at this point
Fender Benders are a drag

Hey folks how's it goin'? Well anyway I would just like to discuss a few of my problems, first off I was involved in a fender bender in my 94 318iS the other day and I was by no means at fault. Some idiot pulled out in front of me and i had no other choice but to hit him. Anyway its such a pain in the ass to have to deal with the insurance company, I am certain some of you have dealt with this before and I was wondering how you dealt with it and what kind of success you had because I've never really been in this type of accident before. Second, if I can't get anything out of the other guys insurance company how much do you think it would be to replace the right front fender, the headlight assembly and the running light/blinker system and is it possible to do myself without having any experience in that type of repair? I will try and get some pics of it soon but I would appreciate anyones input. Thanks
rborak318iS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2006, 01:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Power Shifting

Car:
Photos:
Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
first off, sorry to hear about your mis-fortune...

second, did u file a police report....??
if u filed a police report then all u have to do is... make a copy of the report, and bring it to your insurence agency.. they will file the claim against the other guy... the insurence company will tell u a place to get the car repaired... u will have to pay the deductable to the body shop, and insurence will cover the rest

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
Cruzin 323is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
well lets just say its gonna be a little more complicated than that and of course i am in the early phase of the game so its just gonna be waiting it out for a while. Basically the cop was being an idiot and im not just ego tripping the cop seriously didn't know what they were talking about and is trying to blame it on me so the police report wont do me a whole world of good unfortunately. But I do appreciate the advice.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Power Shifting

Car:
Photos:
it really has nothing to do with the cop being a dick or not... it has to do with the insurence company... they will make the final decision not the cops... because it is the insureence company that is paying for it..\

unless stated on the report, saying driver said he admitted to fault! then its up to insureence... reguardless, insurence will go up! and u will still have to pay a deductable!

Old 01-22-2006, 07:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by rborak318iS
well lets just say its gonna be a little more complicated than that and of course i am in the early phase of the game so its just gonna be waiting it out for a while. Basically the cop was being an idiot and im not just ego tripping the cop seriously didn't know what they were talking about and is trying to blame it on me so the police report wont do me a whole world of good unfortunately. But I do appreciate the advice.

Let's see if we can simplify this. Were you issued a ticket saying it was your fault? If you were, you're responsible for fixing the other persons car. You can get a lawyer and fight it, don't know how well that will work. You need to call your insurance company and tell them what happened and give them the other persons name, address, insurance company, and policy number. You did get all that information at the accident site?

Was the other person issued a ticket saying it was his /her fault? Then they are responsible for fixing your car. If you haven't heard from his/her insurance company, call them and file a claim. If they give you grief, call your insurance company and explain the problem to them.

Did both of you get a ticket stating it both your faults (rare)? Did he not issue a ticket to either one of you and just filled out an accident report (happens)? Then call his insurance company, make a claim, and call yours to explain the events. It is a good idea to get a copy of the accident report. Someone will want a copy somewhere along the line.
1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
tomctx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Power Shifting

Car:
Photos:
any witness's??

Old 01-23-2006, 11:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Well yeah there was one witness, he said I was not at fault but he wasn't there to talk with the officer. I did get the guys information and filed a claim with his company and they said they had spoken with my witness who apparently (according to the representative) didn't have the same story as me. I know that insurance companies lie and bluff as much as they can especially when they have a 2,000 dollar fender bender to fixon a bimmer but he did almost come out and say that he wasn't going to pay for all of it but a portion which is a start but still isn't good enough. Now a bit about my personal situation, I'm a college student without a lot of money so I don't know if I can afford an attorney. I obviously don't have full coverage insurance because a male at age 19 driving a bmw is a risk factor to the company so it isn't really worth it to me to pay 4 to 500 bucks a month even though I am a safe driver but tell that to the insurance company. I also spoke with my insurance company and he advised me to go after the other one on my own at first and see what type of results I can get but it's just so hard being as young as I am dealing with these people because automatically they think I have no credibility and they are jealous of me driving a nice car at age 19 blah blah whatever it is, it's just a drag. I am lucky that it still runs fine and its just cosmetic damage. And the officer gave me the citation for ''not keeping a proper lookout'' which I am going to plead not guilty to in traffic court and have recently filed a complaint against the officer.In Albuquerque New Mexico where I live the Hispanic people are sometimes prejudice to white folks like me so I do also think that could have possibly been a factor due to the fact the person I got in the accident with was Hispanic and both the officers were as well. Who knows, maybe this was a predestained thing for me to sue the city for discrimination and get millions of dollars. LOL, well I am sorry if this was alot to read but thats basic what has been happening. And I was wondering if anyone knew about body work, I know the fender will have to be replaced, also the running light/turn signal, the fog lights need to be replaced but I am familiar with that job. Also that plastic mud flap piece inside of the fender or bumper should be replaced so if anyone could give me some insight on that, and tell me if it would be a safe idea since I don't have any experience in body work. Anyway, thanks for all your replies.
Cheers
Old 01-23-2006, 12:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
aheath is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to aheath
I have a 96 328is and it cost me about $550-600 to have someone install a new radiator. Roughly the same price for a water pump as well.

I would've replaced the water pump myself but I didn't have the time or place to do it.
aheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Oh yeah I've already replaced the radiator about 7,000 miles ago. Cost me about the same and I just got an estimate today by the recommended body shop of the bmw dealer here and they said it will cost just about 3000 dollars to fix the damage. I just want to say bimmers are so good, even though my car is injured and even if it can't get fixed for a long time I will still love it and drive it with respect. She has about 150,000+ miles on her so how much more do you all think I could get out of my e36 318? What is the longest anyone has ever heard of these getting? And whats the best most economical way to maximize the longevity of it? I already know the synthetic oil, winterizing it,not pounding on it wherever you go (of course you have to enjoy the revs and the turns sometimes though)you know all the basics but are there any tips alot of people wouldn't know about? Anyway I'll read your replies. Happy Bimmering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)