BMW Werkz banner

Fault Code

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  obd2guru 
#1 ·
HEY GUYS, I have a bad abnormal vibration on my 93 318i 5 speed. The check engine light came on and the code read P1174 Fuel Trim Adaptation Additive Bank 1 Malfunction. I understand a little bit about it, but I am trying to come to a good solution instead of doing a million try-to-fix-it possibilities.

Had anyone had this problem before? how did you fix it? I've done some research and it maybe that it could be a vacuum leak or maybe an oxygen sensor.

Just for reference, I noted this abnormal vibration a while back, but it was not that noticeable, then it grew as time went by and the engine check light came on. I may have a theory that it could be a vacuum leak from the crankcase ventilation valve to the top of the cylinder head cover vacuum line. what you guys think? :wtf

#2 ·
this code sets when your car runs very lean ,thus the computer detects long term fuel trim with exesive enrichment ,i would check a cracked intake manifold or gasket could be anywhere betwen the tb and the head ,but most of the time :( a plugged catalitic converter.

#3 ·
I have to change a lot of parts just to be careful. The previous owner did not take care of this car. Another thing I noticed is that the RPMs stay for about 3-5 seconds hovering on 1000 versus the normal drop to 500.

This abnormal vibration started in a very mild maner and then increased to a wilder vibration that can even be seen when you pop the hood. Could these 2 signs mean anything else?

:pissed2

#4 ·
check for a hiss noise , its definitly an air leak , vibrations come from malfunctioning cylinders , ive seen vibrations due to missing fins in the radiator fan, but urs its not the case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.