Fan Delete Mod any one have it on their car? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 05:53 PM
Live Fast. Drive Faster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to buuhh99
(Thread Starter)
Fan Delete Mod any one have it on their car?

Fan Delete Mod, how is it working for ya? Noticed any diffrence? Pros cons?
Did you add an electric fan?

Just wanted to know about it cause i am contemplating doing it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 06:00 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, you will have to get a electrical fan ... unless of course you plan on throwing the car away soon.

As for the improvement ... it's a common belief it increases your power -- NO. It just gives back the power that is normally robbed by the fan ... which is like, what? A 5 hp difference at most? All in all, I don't think it's worth it.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Later.

#3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 07:10 PM
2nd Gear Member

B_w. is an unknown quantity at this point
buy the kit and use water wetter and you will be fine. i have had no problems cruising slowly in traffic on the hottest days of the year. the people that usually have problems just remove the fan and do not buy the kit.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 08:52 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
im doing mine next week i believe.

there are some benifits with this as well as potential downfalls. electic fans? well some use them and some dont, ive not really heard anything about overheating from anyone as of yet

#5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 11:23 PM
Neutral Member

cloaked95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ive got it!! you have to try it to notice the difference. The best way to tell the difference is when you drive with the fan clutch engaged or disengaged. Its a noticeable difference which I would not want to do without.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 10:46 AM
3rd Gear Member

Tochenzo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Tochenzo
i did it and have had no problems overheating

out of all the fan delete threads out there...haveu heard of ANYONE actually overheating and damaging their car with this mod? No. it's just a myth

Tony

National Capital Chapter BMW CCA #367673
1998 Hellrot 328i
#7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 11:46 AM
1st Gear Member

frank de jonge is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to frank de jonge
Without electric fan???????

Is it working over here in the Netherlands.

Temps are lower here but in the summer it can get kinda hot like 35 degrees.

What do I need if I want to remove the fan??

More info is welcome

Drive fast, Fly low, Drive a BMW
#8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 11:53 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
FYI 35 degrees celsius=95 degrees Fahrenheit.

And no, I wouldn't do the mod.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 12:18 AM
2nd Gear Member

uber e36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to uber e36
I will also be doing this shortly.

Click signature for pictures:

Need some Real Estate Advice? www.gracehomes.com
#10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 11:35 AM
n00b

ksee777 is on a distinguished road
My car has it done when I bought mine... But I did something similar to my 240SX and it made a difference!
#11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 01:55 PM
n00b

Kyytsis is on a distinguished road
You mean replacing the standard mechanical fan with electrical aftermarket item? I've done it to one e34 and it was worth it as the mechanical fan was broken...
If you are planning to remove fan altogether I suggest that you remove all coolant before doing that. That way you get the same end result, but with minimal time consumption...

#12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 02:17 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyytsis
If you are planning to remove fan altogether I suggest that you remove all coolant before doing that. That way you get the same end result, but with minimal time consumption...

ROFLMAO!!!!!

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

Lindsay fan club member.
#13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 03:59 PM
my car is red

94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 94BMW325i Send a message via Yahoo to 94BMW325i
so you mean seeing that your taking your fan off you might as well flush your radiator while you are at it?

member and partial creator of pimpin the auto club
#14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 04:45 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94BMW325i
so you mean seeing that your taking your fan off you might as well flush your radiator while you are at it?
No, he's saying that taking off the mechanical fan without inserting another electrical fan will overheat your engine eventually, i.e., is stupid...so why not just empty out all the coolant and accomplish a blown head more quickly?

Lindsay fan club member.
#15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
The Fan delete is a retarded mod imho. The mechanical one works well, and I hate to break it to all of you but the alternator actually takes up the load for the fan when it's running, seeing as how it uses electricity, so the end result is a very very minor gain, which is likely more due to the reduced rotational mass of the electric fans than the relief of any mechanical drag. Also, the mechanical fan turns off at speed anyhow so you would only gain anything when the car was at low speed. Not worth all the work. If you want to do a project for the sake of doing a project, do basic maintenaince, like cleaning your ICV, replacing vacuum lines, replacing seals and gaskets, you know stuff that will actually do something useful to help your car.

If you want cheap horsepower, my suggestion is to get an intake and chip. If you already have an intake and chip, there is no such thing as cheap horsepower anymore.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)