Extremely High Idle Wont Come Down - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 02:11 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BMWjiggaB is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
My car when i start it up will rev straight up to right under the redline at about 6300rpm and will stick there and wont come down at all. Not sure if vacum line or idle air control valve. Its not the tps sensor as i have checked that at work allready. I cant seem to find the idle air control valve to clean it and check it out. I believe its under the intake manifold but cant locate it. Any ideas or experiences with this. I have a 96' 328is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 03:41 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
Have you checked the throttle cable? This sounds too bad to be any of the things you listed. See if it has any slack...
#3 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 04:42 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
this might sound silly, but you sure your carpet isnt on the throttle? i had the same problem but my idle wastnt that hight, in any event just want to make sure you dont overlook the obvious

#4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 04:46 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by thekid@Mar 8 2005, 02:41 AM
Have you checked the throttle cable? This sounds too bad to be any of the things you listed. See if it has any slack...
[snapback]306269[/snapback]
Yes i have checked the throttle cable and it is ok. THe butterfly on the throttle body which opens when u give it gas, via the throttle cable, stays shut when it is reving high like that. Under normal circumstances it should open with the push of the gas.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 12:26 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
hmmm.... this is getting tricky then. I had a vacum leak and a drity idle control valve and I experianced erratic idle rpms, but only between 600 and 1.5k ish rpm... I've never heard of a vacuum leak reving that high. Also the butterfuly being closed and still allowing the rpms to be that high is really strange. hmmm.... I'll keep thinking....

Also I have a 318i so I can't help you with the Idle control valve location. But on mine it is under the manifold on the back side of the engine, but I am not sure on the 6cly models if the placement is the same.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 05:39 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Well its another day and i took my intake manifold off and everything around it and found my idle air control valve and i cleaned it up. It was just a little bit dirty but nothing major. So i put it back on, after losing one of my intake screws on the ground in the process, and i put everything back on. Went to start it and it was at 4500rpm and then 2 seconds later it grew again back up to redline. Is there any kind of sensor that if unplugged or something would cause this? I have no clue whatsoever now. I can take it anywhere without the aid of a tow truck or a trailer. Much help appreciated.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 07:22 AM
2nd Gear Member

mmclaren is an unknown quantity at this point
unscrew the throttle cable, its the wire thing with a plastic clip on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)