BMW Werkz banner

Euro Headlight conversion

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  bitcore 
#1 ·
What is the difference between the european headlights and the US headlights?

#2 ·
The North American e36 headlght assemblies have a plastic front cover, cheap skimpy plastic housing, and a reflector type assembly inside that merely reflects the light on to the road.

The European e36 headlight assemblies have a glass front cover, bigger thicker plastic housings, and an ellipsoid projector lense that focuses light onto the road where you need it most, not spray it all over the place like the NA reflector.

This is most of the reason I bought ZKW's. The Angel Eyes are nice, but the improvement in night vision is tremendous. :D

#3 ·
Exactly. The projectors are used on Euro specs due to the autobahns. reflectors do not give off enough light to drive fast safely at night. The ellipsoids increase the range of the headlights 30%.

Plus if you add HID, the lighting ability is increased even more. I upgraded to ellipsoids w/ HID, and it makes the NA spec look like 5W flashlight bulbs, both in clor and range.

#4 ·
Maybe you guys should smack the hell outta me for saying this, but I have thought since day 1 when I had my Bimmer that the headlights were pretty damn good...yeah I know they are cheaper plastic, but they illuminate things pretty well with regular sylvania bulbs. I can only imagine how Euro Spec lights would increase vision and lighting...

#7 ·
hey jilphan
where did you buy those ones that bolted on from? and how much were
they? is there a DIY for that?
thanks
Q

#9 ·
Yeah, how the hell did it take 8 hours? I mean, its only 15-20 screws holding everything on. Mine only too about three hours to do, and most of that was fitting the HID junk.

#13 ·
I saw the price on those, 650 dollars, holy crap. All I could think about is there's my springs/shocks right there. Oh well I'll have this car till it exlodes twice so there will be plenty of time for money to be poured into it.

Kevin

#14 ·
Guys, I'm of the opinion of buying things ONCE. Do the research, and buy decent crap. You guys should be so lucky. I bought them before the price dropped to $650. ZKW is an oem manufacturer for BMW and many other German automakers. I guess I didn't mention that part.

Expensive...yes, worth it....no doubt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.