BMW Werkz banner

Error Code

6K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  e36surge 
#1 ·
My 96' 328i flipped out yesterday and wouldn't start. It had a code come up "EWS signal" anyone know what this might be. I pulled all the fuses and put them back in as a last ditch try to fix it, and it worked for some crazy reason! Just need to know if it is a bigger problem than it seems to be? Thanks in advance! :)

#4 ·
Oh...
I'm not sure...it may be whatever EWS stands for....
maybe Early Warning System or Electrical Warning Surge.

It sound electrical...like your fuses were overloaded...so that could mean your relays are malfunctioning...

the sources can be bad DME (a problem for 1996 328i cars) or old battery.

#6 ·
No..he'll be using the same equipment. Trust your BAVAUTO tool.
You already diagnosed the problem. Call your local BMW dealership/service center and ask them how much is it to resolve a EWS signal error/fault?

and you should get a ballpark estimate on what you need and how much it is going to costs.

#8 ·
EWS stands for Electronische WegfahrSperre. In English that means Electronic Driveaway Protection.

Try disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes or resetting the codes.

The problem is between the DME (Digital Motor Electronics) a.k.a ECU and the EWS. I had this problem on my 325 when I first bought her this year. EWS came standard on all 95.5 and later e36's. See the attached file. The EWS works in conjunction with your key and a ring antenna (the plastic collar around the top of the ignition barrel). A signal is sent from key to ews, if there is a problem ews will not allow car to start. There is a technical service bulletin on this and your dealer should know about the problem

I went as far as changing ignition barrel and coding new keys. Changing my starter... and a whole bunch of other stuff because my non-start problem was intermittent.

I am not saying this will solve your problem but your issue sounds very similar to mine. I hope this information will help you narrow down the problem.

Good luck and tell us what happens.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.