BMW Werkz banner

Engine whining

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  97alpineM3 
#1 ·
My e36 is making a whining noise from the engine that amplifies when i press the accelerator... it almost sounds like a remote control car, that kind of electric spinning noise. Any ideas or suggestions, before i let the shop gouge me???

#4 ·
coversion said:
My e36 is making a whining noise from the engine that amplifies when i press the accelerator... it almost sounds like a remote control car, that kind of electric spinning noise.
Take a long screw driver and use it like a stethescope. While the engine is running, carefully put one end of the screw driver on the alternator, and put the other end near your ear (with your fist as the buffer). If alternator is not the culprit, do the same with other components (like the belt tensioners).

good luck

#8 ·
pcy said:
Take a long screw driver and use it like a stethescope. While the engine is running, carefully put one end of the screw driver on the alternator, and put the other end near your ear (with your fist as the buffer). If alternator is not the culprit, do the same with other components (like the belt tensioners).

good luck

A wrench or something without the usual plastic end works very well too.

As for the problem... you must first know where the noise is coming from before you can diagnose a whinning noise... search around... listen... feel... you'll find it eventually... or atleast the general area...

Good Luck,

Les

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.