Engine weight differance - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 09:16 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CiscoKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CiscoKid
(Thread Starter)
is there a large weight differance between the E36 3.2l M3 engine and the 325 engine?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 10:14 PM
Threadkiller

bitcore will become famous soon enough bitcore will become famous soon enough
I believe it is enough that you need to beef up your stock front suspinsion... (remembering about previous threads of swapping M engines, could be misinformation so don't rely too much on me.)

#3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 11:52 PM
Neutral Member

thinair is on a distinguished road
Barely any difference. The engines are practically identical. The M3 engine has wider cylinder bores (lighter), but a longer stroke crank (heavier).

You only need to beed up the front suspension if going from a 4 cylinder to a 6.

Here are some stats for you (incl. engine weights):
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/enumber.html

Nelson Papel
1997 Madeira Violet 328is - Carbonio Intake, Racing Dynamics exhaust, fan delete, ASC delete, M50 intake manifold, M3 Cams, Eurospeed/AA software, 3.38LSD, M3 f&r brakes + MC, Bilstein PSS, Eibach swaybars, BBS RK 17x8" wheels, Toyo T1R (235/40R17) tires, Racing Dynamics K55 kit, full euro lighting, 4300k HID lows, etc..........
<a href='http://www3.sympatico.ca/thinairbikes/bmw.htm' target='_blank'>Click here for more info on my car</a>
#4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

roguesniper1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to roguesniper1
Quote:
Originally posted by thinair@Apr 21 2004, 11:32 PM
Barely any difference. The engines are practically identical. The M3 engine has wider cylinder bores (lighter), but a longer stroke crank (heavier).

You only need to beed up the front suspension if going from a 4 cylinder to a 6.

Well actually you have to beef the engine mounts and entire front suspension due to power outgain and higher vibration.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 05:47 AM
Neutral Member

thinair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by roguesniper1+Apr 22 2004, 01:59 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (roguesniper1 @ Apr 22 2004, 01:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-thinair@Apr 21 2004, 11:32 PM

Well actually you have to beef the engine mounts and entire front suspension due to power outgain and higher vibration. [/b][/quote]
As much of a good idea as it is, it's not entirely nessecary, then again most people won't add an M3 engine to a fully stock car anyway. Think about all the non-M cars with forced induction (aka making more power then an M-engine), I'm willing to bet that 95% of then are on stock engine mounts. Although suspension is usually one of the first things people swap anyway, usually on the list way before an engine swap.

Nelson Papel
1997 Madeira Violet 328is - Carbonio Intake, Racing Dynamics exhaust, fan delete, ASC delete, M50 intake manifold, M3 Cams, Eurospeed/AA software, 3.38LSD, M3 f&r brakes + MC, Bilstein PSS, Eibach swaybars, BBS RK 17x8&quot; wheels, Toyo T1R (235/40R17) tires, Racing Dynamics K55 kit, full euro lighting, 4300k HID lows, etc..........
<a href='http://www3.sympatico.ca/thinairbikes/bmw.htm' target='_blank'>Click here for more info on my car</a>
#6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 11:10 AM
1st Gear Member

roguesniper1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to roguesniper1
Quote:
Originally posted by thinair+Apr 22 2004, 05:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (thinair @ Apr 22 2004, 05:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by roguesniper1@Apr 22 2004, 01:59 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-thinair
Quote:
@Apr 21 2004, 11:32 PM
Barely any difference.* The engines are practically identical.* The M3 engine has wider cylinder bores (lighter), but a longer stroke crank (heavier).

Well actually you have to beef the engine mounts and entire front suspension due to power outgain and higher vibration.
As much of a good idea as it is, it's not entirely nessecary, then again most people won't add an M3 engine to a fully stock car anyway. Think about all the non-M cars with forced induction (aka making more power then an M-engine), I'm willing to bet that 95% of then are on stock engine mounts. Although suspension is usually one of the first things people swap anyway, usually on the list way before an engine swap. [/b][/quote]
Okay this quoting is getting crazy. But majority of forced induction cars don't have higher vibration, due the fact they are forced induction. The power is coming from the seperate source, the engine it self is not working hard.

Second, lots of after market FI cars have long term problems and horrible reliability because people forget to change little things as engine mounts. Power outgain matters, realise it or not. LET me know what you think? I am not arguing for the sake of arguement. Just seeing how much I know and how much can I learn.

As for the suspenion, yeah you don't have to change it. But at that rate every car would be fine live rear axle. The whole point to upgrade suspension is to fine tune it and maximize the performence in the corners. I personally don't really care for straight line performence that much. Alone that is a fact I drive a BMW not mustang.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)