BMW Werkz banner

Engine Upgrade

5K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Corne328 
#1 ·
So I was thinking about swapping an engine into my 94 BMW 325IS. I would like to get something over 270hp. (Rivalry issue of course.) Ideas? It appears that the M3 motor through 1999 do achieve this. Perhaps the 2001+ would work. Does anyone know where I could get one of these and how much it would cost? I have heard the most all BMW engine will transfers through the years into different body styles. Will this engine fit? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
If you are wanting to stay NA you'll need an M3 motor to get those numbers, which I think will be $$. But if you want to go FI you can probably find a used M52/M54 and go turbo.

#5 · (Edited)
just get ready for what your in for...I am in the process of swapping my motor out still and their charging me 800 just to take my motor out. I have an s50 motor and it seems like the wiring harness that came with the motor is no good and they said ALOT wires are defected.. ( which pisses me off ) ..so I am happy but sad at the same time, because yes it does cost A lot and I am not going to be able to drive my car for a while...but just make sure everything is right, don't rush like because it will cost more....( sighs )....:(:conf:conf

#6 ·
cheapest way to acheive 270ish? hmm do u want wheel power or power up top?

u can do 270 up top, but i dont think u can do 270whp without FI on a non m3 motor.

that being said, to acheive 270 up top on a non m3 motor, ud need a m52 motor ( which are fairly cheap), with m50 manifold, cams,full exhaust system (headers -> track pipe -> exhaust) intake, and software, and maybe some weight reduction.

#10 ·
cheapest way to acheive 270ish? hmm do u want wheel power or power up top?

u can do 270 up top, but i dont think u can do 270whp without FI on a non m3 motor.

that being said, to acheive 270 up top on a non m3 motor, ud need a m52 motor ( which are fairly cheap), with m50 manifold, cams,full exhaust system (headers -> track pipe -> exhaust) intake, and software, and maybe some weight reduction.
how does weight reduction help him make hp? ;)

even then you wont make 270hp.. just supercharge the car you have, its the cheapest way to go.. AA's stage 1 kit makes like 310hp on a 325is and its like $4000. Way cheaper than a sxx motor swap will end up costing you.. and still more hp then anything short of a s38/s54/etc though a s38 swap would be badass, buddy of mine @ work had a s38 swapped 325is til it got sideswiped last year.

#7 ·
well I'd be doing the work myself and with a friend. I'm hoping not to spend over $2,000. Possible? I'd prefer to stay NA. I've heard of numerous problems with FI and would rather not get into it. What is the difference between my current motor (M50TU I believe) and the M3 motor of that year. Can't I just build it to M3 specs?

#9 ·
$2k i'd say know(was looking to do the same swap to my car)
UNLESS you get a REALLY insane deal on the engine, trans, wiring harness and, ecu.

#11 ·
dude, im tellin u, if ur on a budget, forget the m3 motor, just pick up

m3 cams
m3 crank
intake
m3 exhasut
software

there thats about 2K ish

if u wana build one, its gona be alot more than 2K...

now if u want u can look around 4ever for a s50/52..but the best bet for the price ur looking for and the gains u want...just go FI, get a used S/C get and be done..

#13 ·
ok. speed that sounds like exactly what i was referring to anyway. I'll just take the engine I have, bore it out, replace the crank and pistons with m3 parts, then m3 cams, now the intake and exhaust, does that even do anything for me on a NA car? I know if I go FI that it will have a big effect but I'm thinking I'll spend like a grand between those two and get about 10hp out of them. Unless i just go custom exhaust, like tell the shop what size and angles to bend the pipes and MAKE it myself. I'll do the software too. How close will this be to an actual m3 motor? And if I go FI, what would you recommend? I've heard of nightmares once you go FI and things don't work because they're not stock. Thoughts?

#16 ·
if i was to go turbo or spuercharger, i would go to supercharger because, The intake air is fed through what is essentially an air compressor that takes the intake air and compresses and accelerates it by means of a supercharger. The supercharger isn't driven or powered off of exhaust gases like a turbocharger, but is instead powered by a belt driven by the crank pulley of the car. The crank pulley turns the supercharger so the power is linear with the revolutions of the motor. You will not experience "turbo lag" with a supercharger since it doesn't take time to spool up, but rather builds power as the revolutions of the car increase.

turbo is really good but sometimes you have to do difficult internal work..They will usually bolt on to existing hardware in the car and require little if any permanent modifications to the car in order for them to function properly. They also don't require all the hardware a turbo needs since they don't use a modified exhaust manifold and don't require the car to have the compression lowered in order to function safely.

But i love turbo too...its all up to the owner of the car, if you think turbos best go with what's best for you....i have an Mr2 turbo and its boosting really good but the gas sucks..but i love the car...maybe its just cause when you have turbo, you wonder how it would be if it was supercharged..?? but its true that it is cheaper with supercharger and a little easier...but just do what you think is best..but everyone has good points and choices....

#17 ·
you want you engine to be "new " inside? so i sugest rebuilding it us lower compression pistons and turbo that mofo! i just looked for an m3 engine, trans, ecu, wiring harness, and other bits and pieces to swap it your lookin around at least 3k-4k dollars... and remember thats used not rebuilt...

#19 ·
true more power, but turbo take alot of that gas. Plus where i live, 4$ a gallon!!!! I'm not driving my Mr2 turbo no more...Supercharger or turbo is awesome....its just supercharger doesn't really take alot of gas...but turbo is fun though...I DON'T KNOW!!! I LOVE BOTH...JUST GO TWIN CHARGED....:D:D:D:D:rule

#20 ·
So I think you've got me leaning towards a supercharger. I like the idea of easier, little modification, and less expensive. I want to run into as few problems as possible and I've also always wanted a supercharger at some point... why not now? Perhaps I'll start with the easier of the two and maybe later I'll turbo something... So any ideas on what supercharger to get? Where? Price? Does anyone have experience with a particular supercharger that they liked or disliked? Thanks.

#21 ·
turbos are actually better on gas if you not CONSTANLY boosting around...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.