Engine Swap Need Help - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 03:44 AM
2nd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mmclaren is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Ok i have looked everywhere but no other posts on this forum or others "that i can find" give a good view with wat is involved.
I own a 1994 bmw 318i with full m3 body kit, low profile pirellis p6000's "225/45/17"
the car has hit 230,000 k's or 143k miles depending on your country. I recently over heated it badly. had it fixed but all of a sudden i have been hit with alot of problems.
Problem 1 : Leaking coolant "pressure test = cracked head gasket"
Problem 2 : Caused leak into radiator "Corosion"
Problem 3 : Fan Clutch has warn out "still works but not near well enough"
Problem 4 : Door handle on drivers side cant be opened from the outside "all electronics still work on the inside"

ok as you can see my car really hates me at the moment. I have found a seller in Australia of a 325i engine with only 30,000k's on the clock or 18k miles. For $2500au "cheap for australia" or $3300 us

I wanted to know wat would be involved in an engine swap, as in wat parts would be required. Or any ideas on wat i should do "really dont wnat to sell my car"

So any help would be most appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 04:44 AM
JAX
Neutral Member

JAX is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to JAX
Well , you won't need to many things.
Engine , wiring harnesesfor the engine and the ECU.
that should be it.

I would look for the eingine somewhere in Germany , I bet you can find it cheaper , and if you buy in Australia , watch it as they have right side driving wheel.

--== 316i Cupe / 325TDS Engine ==-- <br> --------------183 HP----------- </br>-- == JAX the RiPPeR == --
#3 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 04:56 AM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by JAX@Nov 23 2004, 08:44 PM
Well , you won't need to many things.
Engine , wiring harnesesfor the engine and the ECU.
that should be it.

I would look for the eingine somewhere in Germany , I bet you can find it cheaper , and if you buy in Australia , watch it as they have right side driving wheel.
[snapback]235807[/snapback]

Thanks any more inputs, and wat are the pricing usually on engine mounts and ECU,

and With the rite hand side driving thing, well i sorta need it, cos im from Australia mate, now throw a shrimp on da barby
#4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 05:13 AM
JAX
Neutral Member

JAX is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to JAX
Hehehhe , then buy it in Australia , the shipping to Australia from Germany will cost you a hand

Here for example a 318i for 2000 Eur (whole car)

Click Here and it will display a search result

--== 316i Cupe / 325TDS Engine ==-- <br> --------------183 HP----------- </br>-- == JAX the RiPPeR == --
#5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 06:13 AM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Need more info and the link you sent unfortunately didnt work, also does anyone know the email for pelican the BMW business since the one on there site doesnt work, or a link to a cheap big seller of bmw parts, that will ship to Australia
thanks
#6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 12:15 PM
2nd Gear Member

B_w. is an unknown quantity at this point
if you are going to go through the trouble of putting in a new motor why not go for the 2.8 or 3.2L?

turbo 2.8
cp pistons, eagle rods, gt35r, tec3
#7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 01:48 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
couple problems with what you want to do. First of all you will need the driveshaft, the rear diff, and the rear subframe of any 6cly BMW. The reason for this is that the driveshaft of your 318i is different lenghth, I do NOT think that the 318i driveshaft will bolt up to the 6cly (some one else confirm this for me), so that means that you have to get a new driveshaft. Also the 6cly drive shaft can not bolt up to your 318i diff. So you'll need the diff from the 6cly. Also the diff mounts to different points on the 6cly model BMWs so you will need the rear subframe as well.

So the list for what you will need to convert to a 325i motor in your 318i

Engine
ECU
Wiring harness
Driveshaft (from any E36 6cly BMW, for instance 325i, 328i, 323i ect
Diff (from 325i would be prefferable, but any 6cly would "work"
Rear sub frame (also from any E36 6cly BMW)

think that should be about it assuming you can use the 318i tranny...
#8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 03:45 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Very good advice, just what I was thinkin. Hell, I swapped from a 2.5L to a 2.8L much less starting with the 4banger. Definitely go for the M52 2.8L at the least.

That being said, it should go in no problem, but you will also probably need to do some modding to the suspension, as your car is not currently equipped to handle the added weight.

#9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 03:55 PM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks heaps
Well where i come from is very hard to get hold of the 2.8l and the 3.2l is a fair price difference over the 2.8l. If anyone knows where i can import one from with decent miles/k's i would be most appreciative. It will also have to be right hand side drive, since im from Australia
#10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 02:19 AM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by mmclaren@Nov 24 2004, 07:55 AM
Thanks heaps
Well where i come from is very hard to get hold of the 2.8l and the 3.2l is a fair price difference over the 2.8l. If anyone knows where i can import one from with decent miles/k's i would be most appreciative. It will also have to be right hand side drive, since im from Australia
[snapback]236097[/snapback]
i have come to the conlusion that the engine change is outta my mechanical league thanks for all your support, i managed to pick up a 318i engine cheaply to replace the used one, can anyone tell me how long it usually takes to swap over since i have read its an easy swap but mechanic says 15 hrs... thanks michael
#11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 02:27 AM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
suspension shouldn't be an issue for normal driving, but of course you're gonna need something better for track/aggressive street driving same as any other E36.

Be very careful doing an engine swap. It's a tricky bitch, it really is. Don't know much about 318 trans vs 325 trans but I think a 325 will mate to a 318 trans just fine. Never done much reading on 318 swaps. I know that 325 - M3 swaps are a fucking bitch, lots of electrical nightmare possibilities. No custom fab needed obviously, but you're gonna have to get all new accessories and hoses and what have you. While you're at it, go with a metal water pump impeller and metal thermostat housing, they'll help reliability.

So far as I know Euro and US M50s are the same or quite similar.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
#12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 02:29 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by mmclaren+Nov 24 2004, 01:19 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mmclaren @ Nov 24 2004, 01:19 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-mmclaren@Nov 24 2004, 07:55 AM
Thanks heaps
[snapback]236097[/snapback]
i have come to the conlusion that the engine change is outta my mechanical league thanks for all your support, i managed to pick up a 318i engine cheaply to replace the used one, can anyone tell me how long it usually takes to swap over since i have read its an easy swap but mechanic says 15 hrs... thanks michael
[snapback]236547[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
It sounds as though you are going to do it yourself. I would recommend getting a chiltons, haynes or prefferably bently manual. I am assuming from your questions that you have not done something like this before, which would make the manual even more important. I would count on taking a whole weekend to do it, that leaves time for making the mistakes that you are NOT going to make (read sarcasm) or the problems that you are NOT going to run into (read again sarcasm). And make sure that you have all tools required to do the job beforehand. You might also want to buy all new hoses and replace those while you are in there. The hardest part assuming you have an engine lift or several really strong friends, is going to be doing the wiring. I would look into any short cut possible for removing the wireing harness from the current engine (if it is ok) with removing as little wireing from it and putting it on your replacement engine. I do not know if this is possible to do, but it will save you a lot of time. Besides that keep a digital camera handy and take a picture of everything that you unbolt, undue move ect and lable it according to the picture. Masking tape is great for this. Then you will know where everything goes and not have a huge problem once you have everything out and are trying to get it back in.

Best of luck to you with this, if you run into any snags along the way that the repair manual you are going to get (HINT HINT) can not help you with, I am sure we will be able to help you out. Nothing in this post is meant to disuade you in any way from doing this. Just letting you know you will run into small things, which if you do your home work before hand, have everything you need, have your repair manual, a digital camera to keep you straight on where things go (and let us know what you are talking about incase you need our assistance once you are underway), you will be able to handle and keep from turning into potentially big problems. (Also if you want to join the "cool memebers club" write down what you do and save those pictures and make a "do it yourself" to put in the FAQ section so that others can learn how to do this as well)
#13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 02:33 AM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Just swapping engines now, 318i to 318i the 325i im sending back to the dealer for a full refund but to change the engine, "exact same" is this a hard proceedure and how long should it take a mechanic,
repeat no more 325i just a quick 318i engine to a 318i car

requires removing old enigne and putting in new one
#14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 02:34 AM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
much easier.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
#15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 03:02 AM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Any estimate on time involved, and do i need a good mechanic to do it, or an everyday one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)