BMW Werkz banner

Engine swap M52 2.5L to M52 2.8L

10K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Torque 
#1 ·
First time posting need help. I have a 1998 323ic m52 2.5L engine with a cracked head. Looking at replacing the engine but the only one I can find locally is an m52 2.8L out of a 1996 328i. Does anyone have experience with doing such a swap. Will I have problems with the 2.8L being compatible with my sensors and or computer/harness. Appreciate any input. I was told I will need to keep the intake manifold and use it with the 2.8 going in. Does that sound right. Do you think that would be the only change. I would appreciate helpful input. Thanks

#4 ·
1. The intake manifold is identical; whoever told you that you have to keep yours is talking out of their ass: they're exactly the same. You can take yours if you feel like doing unnecessary work.

2. The mounting of the engines is the same

3. The manual transmission used in both cars is the same; automatic is different ... the housings are the same, so it will bolt up no problem, though I'm not sure how long the automatic out of a 323 would last with the extra power and torque (though I can't imagine it's life being significantly shortened by it).

4. Yes, you will need the ECU; the wiring should be identical. Keep in mind that you will have to have the new ECU re-coded by BMW to work with your car (both cars have EWS and unless you have it done, your car will not start ... normally costs around 200 dollars to have the ecu reprogrammed: I'm not sure if they need just the ECU or if it has to be attached to the car, so be ready to have the car towed if they need the car).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.