BMW Werkz banner

Engine Swap E36

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  David Mc 
#1 ·
First and foremost, I am a first time Bimmer owner. Don't judge to harshly. :p

So, I looked for a little bit on the forums but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I def don't wanna be one of those people who ask questions that have already been answered, so if this has, please link me up.

My question is this.
I own a 98 318i e36.

What engines are compatible to swap out and how hard for each engine?
Also, what will I need in addition to just the engine?
What will need replaced/fabricated to make said engine work?
Pros and cons of different engines?

I know these are "novice" questions, but I've looked for a while and no one has given a specific answer that I saw. Lol

My end goal with all this is to have the speed available when I want it.

Also, with the 318i the exhaust is weird and I can't find any kits that are compatible with my car?
Normal, or am I just an idiot? Lolol

Thanks guys!!

See less See more
#2 ·
E36's were produced with a variety of engines, ranging from 1.6 litre 4 cyl up to 3.0 litre S50/S52 engines for the US and Euro spec M3. My advice is to forget about engine swaps in anything later than an E30 as you will need to change DME's/EWS and associated components and it becomes an extremely expensive proposition unless you have a donor car. If you are not happy with the performance of the 318i, you would be better off selling the car and buying a 6 cyl E36. 6 cylinder engines include the M50 323i and M52 328i as well as the M3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.