BMW Werkz banner

Engine Overheating

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  markyd 
#1 ·
ok so my engine has been overheating lately....found that the radiator was leaking...replaced that...still overheating, thought it might be the thermostat....replaced that...still overheating...thought it could be the pump...looked at it and there is no wear at all....checked all the o rings and everything...there are no leaks what so ever...still overheating. What else can it be?? Could there be air in the system somewhere? I never actually drained the engine block of coolant...could that be why its still overheating? I run my car for like 5 minutes and the coolant is boiling out of the reservoir when i crack it...wtf is going on here. Im 400 in the hole and still dont have a problem solved....anyone know what could be going on over here? haha...im going to go insance :D any help would be very very appreciated!

#5 ·
ive ran out of choices i thought i covered everything that there was in the coolant system....i think im getting circulation because im getting the water coming in from the top of the resevoir....so i dont think it could be the pump or the thermostat...if the thermostat was screwed then it would be closed and i wouldnt be getting any flow...same with the pump...the fan clutch seems to be working...i mean its turning the pump...so i should be getting plenty of circulation...unless there is another purpose to it that i dont know about....please help us!!!

#6 ·
someone was telling me that i should try back flushing the system to dislodge anything that might have gotten in there...im going to try that as soon as i can and see if that helps...hopefully it does cause i hate not being able to drive my car for 5 miles without it overheating....

#8 ·
Originally posted by doughnutboy@Jun 10 2005, 10:47 PM
ive ran out of choices i thought i covered everything that there was in the coolant system....i think im getting circulation because im getting the water coming in from the top of the resevoir....so i dont think it could be the pump or the thermostat...if the thermostat was screwed then it would be closed and i wouldnt be getting any flow...same with the pump...the fan clutch seems to be working...i mean its turning the pump...so i should be getting plenty of circulation...unless there is another purpose to it that i dont know about....please help us!!!
[snapback]352581[/snapback]​
Once the temperature of your engine reaches a certain temp. the fan starts spinning at the same speed as the water pump, because there is a bubble of something in the fan, and when that heats up, something clicks into place and the fan starts spinning at the same speed as the water pump, which cools down the coolant in the radiator.

sorry for the use of 'something' but yeah, i had this explained to me by some mechanic coz my car was overheating, hope this somehow helped!

#10 ·
1. Make sure the aux fan is starting as the temp rises above normal.
2. Does the heater put out heat. If yes the thermostat is ok and water is circulating. If no the thermostat isn't opening or the water pump isn't working correctly.
3. If none of the above lead to a solution, the problem could be an air lock in the system. If you watch American Hotrod, they had to pull a vacuum twice on a hot rod they were building to get rid on an airlock that caused overheating.

#11 ·
alright i finally fixed it....i guess the problem was that there was a huge air pocket inside the system...to fix it all i did was poor coolant down the hose thats on the top right of the radiator if you are facing the car. ran it for a little but and it worked fine. I had to put some more coolant in it to replace that air pocket but everything works great now. The heat is back to working and everything! I didnt know what i was going to do if i had to miss out on another day of driving my car! Thanks for all the input guys i really appreciate it!

-Jeremy

Semper Fi

#12 ·
Originally posted by doughnutboy@Jun 13 2005, 01:49 AM
alright i finally fixed it....i guess the problem was that there was a huge air pocket inside the system...to fix it all i did was poor coolant down the hose thats on the top right of the radiator if you are facing the car. ran it for a little but and it worked fine. I had to put some more coolant in it to replace that air pocket but everything works great now. The heat is back to working and everything! I didnt know what i was going to do if i had to miss out on another day of driving my car! Thanks for all the input guys i really appreciate it!

-Jeremy

Semper Fi
[snapback]353018[/snapback]​
just a suggestion but when topping up the water there is a little screw next to the radiator cap remove the screw while topping up with the engine running it bleeds the system of air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.