Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Kissimme, florida
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
|3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.|
| ||LinkBack||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
P0446 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction
Purge Flow Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
Charcoal Canister aka Carbon Collector Canister / Evaporator Valve
1. Remove your spare tire.
2. You will now see an oval shaped black plastic covering with a threaded rod coming out of the middle.
3. Remove the nut and washer.
4. On the right hand side of the oval plastic piece you will see a flat covering that is molded to the oval piece. There is a plastic nut holding the end of this down. Remove that nut.
5. Pull the plastic piece straight up and out.
6. You will now see the charcoal canister with 3 lines going into it from the right hand side of the car (passenger side).
7. The two thinner lines (same size) have metal hose clamps on them.
8. They are snug, but with a screwdriver (flat) you can gently work the hoses off without removing the clamps.
9. Next, remove the thicker hose. (it just pulls off, wiggling side to side helps)
10. During the hose removal you may want to have a friend hold up the canister. It is not secured to the car and can slide up the threaded rod.
11. Once your lines are off, remove the canister by lifting straight up.
12. Installation is opposite of removal.
NOTE: There may be gas vapor in these lines when disconnected!
P0420 is Catalyst System below efficiency. Basically means your cats are failing. Depending on your milage this is not uncommon. Their only designed to last around 150k, and less if the PO was using less then 89 octane gasoline. Replace the sensors when you replace the cats.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Map code||fastshivy||5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)||8||11-13-2007 12:00 PM|
|Asking For Code||jshearer||Audio and Electronics||1||12-18-2004 08:28 PM|
|CODE||mike6786||3-Series (E36)||5||03-05-2004 11:23 AM|