BMW Werkz banner

Electrical, Sunroof, Interior, & Opinion Issues

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  '92 325i Alpine 
#1 ·
Okay, I have a few issues with the Bimmer I just bought.

First off, it's an alpine white '92 Automatic with 80K original miles that has been very well maintained. I picked it up for 6K. I then brought it to a dealership for their $100 used car check. It checked out very well. With the kind of mileage and vehicle, was it a decent deal?

I put a new OEM muffler on it (the old one was a beer can) to tide me over until I can start doing some fun stuff as well as new bilsteins, the B36-1526 sport. The plastic impellar in the cooling system has already been obliterated and replaced early on. I had an Inspection II done because I didn't want to be driving it around when it needed one, but will do them in the future (once I figure out how). I purchased a Bentley manual yesterday and can't wait for it to get here.

Second, the sunroof "slipstream deflector", it's the flat bar that pops up in front when the sunroof is back, won't go down when the sunroof is closing. If I don't reach out the window and press it down, it'll catch between the roof and the sunroof. Are there any good links to shit that can go wrong with sunroofs and DIY fixes?

Third, my girlfriend decided to borrow my car one evening to get groceries. She was even sweet enough to bring it to the supertunnel car wash and wash it for me. DOH! It's hard to be angry with her, but i'm trying. In any event, she said that it died coming out of the carwash and took a minute or three to start but after that it ran fine home. I went out to my car and it started right up. Thinking i'd dodged a bullet, I returned the next day, got in and went to start it and the battery was dead. It was a six year battery going into it's seventh and a half year so I replaced it (it was a 500 CCA battery) with a 690 CCA battery. That solved the problem for a day, but the new battery died. There's a drain somewhere in my vast electrical system (vast compared to the toyota I owned before). A fully charged battery will drain in a couple of hours.

The alternator works. The fuses all appear to be fine. With my cheap multimeter I checked all the numbered fuses and found that with the vehicle off, the following fuses displayed:

Battery's Voltage: 2, 6-10, 31-39, 41
No voltage: 1,11,12,15,16,18,20,29,30,43-46
.13 Volts: 16, 21-28

Included is a picture of the fuse box with all the fuses I've got in it (just for shits). What's grabbing power that shouldn't be?

One other thing is that the bezels broke off on two door panels because the panels are loose. They won't stay on and the pleather is coming off the panels themselves. I was thinking of taking them off and grabbing a bit of gorilla glue, drilling a small hole in the back of the panel and syringing the stuff in, then putting heavy crap on the pleather till it dries. Any thoughts, links, or comments on this?

Other than that it's a great car that I love to drive, I'm going to do an intake next then get new lights, bumpers, and get the sideskirts painted. I need a new 6 CD changer, and a new deck (it has the stock BMW radio). I was pleased with the sound system considering it's age, I might just leave it alone for a while. I was also thinking of redo-ing all the weather stripping because it's old and shrunk and/or breaking, and maybe a tint job. But that'll be plenty for now, if you've got anything that I just gotta do, let me know what you think.

[attachmentid=23235]

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.