Electrical Problems - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 05:19 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Duge is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi everyone, first off my car is a 93 BMW 318i i'm a new bimmer owner, and a honda mechanic. i haven't any clue where to start with this bimmer i got, i got it cheap but it has problems so here is the problems hopefully someone can give me some hints where to start with these problems

first.

the interior lights don't work. however when i turn the ign off, the lights go dim? how screwed is that.

the power windows don't work, the power door locks don't work, the dome light when the door open doesn't work. everything that should work electronically, doesn't

is there a body control module ?

is there any ideas? common problem? the lights short out somewhere along with the right side parking lights. i'm stuck, i bought a service manual off ebay but it's still in shipping and my car needs help!!!

any input would be awesome
thanks everyone in advance!

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 05:25 PM
What? No Autobahn?

jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
start with fuses in the fuse box and then move to relays...

#3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 05:31 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
fuses are all good. and as for the relays it's screwed.

if i unplug the relay for the interior lights and then change the fuse that shorts, the plug the relay back in the lights work for a little then next time i turn the ign on. it blow again. either the relay is shot, or there is a short that heats the relay up so much it blows the fuse.

as for the windows, there is a module connected to the R/F door looks like it controls all the window or something, it has power going into it, but no power coming out of it, and it i jump it the windows work. however that could be one of the problems, howevr i dunno if there is a module that controls everything i dunno... but thanks for the input jrhaile
#4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 05:33 PM
What? No Autobahn?

jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
well shit man...with those kinds of problems almost sounds like someone was in there fucking around with shit... there is a CLS or central locking system that has a module that is under the passenger glove box that could be causing some of the problems... I'd look into that.

#5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 05:37 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
so that central locking system controls the power door locks i imagine?
#6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 05:40 PM
What? No Autobahn?

door locks and I think lights too. it controls more then just the locking...

#7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 05:40 PM
What? No Autobahn?

I'd take the car to a BMW mechanic who has the proper computer to pull all codes from the car and test all modules. from the sounds of all this, you have some major module dead.

#8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 05:43 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
i know but the problem is that i'm a mechanic, however i don't know anything about euro cars, i'm a japanese car guy recently turned over to the darkside!

but thanks for the info man
#9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 05:47 PM
What? No Autobahn?

the darkside! wow :P get rid of the car because you obviously don't appreciate it. And you're right, you might be a mechanic but you don't know euro cars, find someone who does know them and it'll save you tons of time :P

#10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 06:42 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
hahah, this bimmer is MINT compared to any jap car i have ever driven, you can spend tens of thousands of dollars on jap cars and they don't compare to BMW. i think i will be driving bimmers from now on. i do appreciate them!

thakns for your help!
#11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 08:27 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
anymore ideas people?

service manual on order from ebay
#12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 02:08 AM
Gear Member

BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Duge@Mar 9 2005, 04:42 PM
hahah, this bimmer is MINT compared to any jap car i have ever driven, you can spend tens of thousands of dollars on jap cars and they don't compare to BMW. i think i will be driving bimmers from now on. i do appreciate them!

thakns for your help!
[snapback]307475[/snapback]

Wow, you sure appreciate your car! Is there anyway to track down the person who sold it to you for some info? If he fucked with it, how long it's been a problem... I don't know the price u got it for, but I know from personal experience that even a new window motor is really really expensive. Hopefully that's not what it is, but... Are there any aftermarket car alarms? Maybe someone tried to take the alarm with him since it was worth money? You may be against this since you're a mechanic... but if I were you, I'd go get it checked out by a german mechanicm, order the parts, and then fix it myself. If it ends up being a rip, you could always sell it, maybe even claim that it was a lemon? (maybe) and buy another one?

Hope that helps... I don't really even know where to start!
#13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 05:41 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I FIXED IT i found the problem, there was corrosion on one of the bridges and caused 1 power wire that powers all the windows, and locks, and interior lights, i'm so happy i found the problem all by myself, and all of you saying that i should bring it to a german mechanic
ha

i'm happy

but thanks for all the input everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)