EGR Valve - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 04:52 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gruvytune is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
EGR Valve

Hey there
Have a 1993 325i that wont pass GA inspection. The check engine is on and I know its an EGR valve issue.

What all is involved in changing this out and is it so hard that I couldn't do it myself and get it reinspected before paying someone huge bucks to get it diagnosed and fixed?

Thanks!
Torin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 07:09 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
edited.....

Hey there
Have a 1993 325i that wont pass GA inspection. I thought it was EGR but i was informed we dont have EGR valves.

are there any places like autozone etc that can read the codes or is there a way to read them easily myself? i'm quite adept at hondas and toyota repair but completely new to bmw.
i failed the hydrocarbon emissions but passed the NO test.

What all is involved in changing this out and is it so hard that I couldn't do it myself and get it reinspected before paying someone huge bucks to get it diagnosed and fixed?

Thanks!
Torin
#3 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 05:57 PM
1st Gear Member

theruss1an1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to theruss1an1
Changing what out?..

Most parts are easy to change out except the o2 sensor is kinda a pain.

-Serge

Last edited by theruss1an1; 01-17-2009 at 06:01 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 07:02 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
hah. thanks.
found out the super secret squirrel method of reading the CEL codes. its my primary oxygen sensor thats the fault. i ordered one online. how long to change it out. i'm without tools (thanks to a divorce) and unable to get under the car easily. dont want to get ripped off getting a garage to do it for me.
thanks
T
#5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 07:43 PM
n00b

drivinfaster is on a distinguished road
bmw does not utilize an egr (exhaust gas recirculation) valve. even if it did, it would not result in high hc readings if it failed. the egr system is used to reduce combustion chamber temperatures in order to reduce the production of oxides of nitrogen (NOx), and no, it is *NOT* the same thing as nitrous oxide...and no, it doesn't 're-burn' the exhaust. it's already 'spent gasses', for a simple definition. like trying to relight a match that has already been lit.

since the falilure in question is hc, which is a misfire indicator (co is the rich running indicator), i would say a tune up and a top engine clean is in order. the o2 sensor would also be a nice benefit, especially on a higher mileage vehicle. top engine cleaning is like a sea foam service. this product is available at advance auto. you could also use the stp fuel system additive. however, i don't pour either into the gas tank. i use a siphon type system that i 't' into the manifold vacuum to get the product into the engine. it smokes like there are no valve seals left while you are doing it, so please do not do where your neighbors will be affected. and *DO NOT* allow full suction of liquid into the intake manifold unless you wish to run the risk of killing your engine. (by the way, the old timers would 'decarbonize' engines with water drizzled down the carburator...same difference)

if, after you have diy'd the repairs mentioned or paid to get it done, and you still fail (you could still fail for NOx, as this is usually at it's highest probability rate where HC & CO are at their lowest rate) for any of the rated parameters, look at the O2 & CO2 readings. if the CO2 is above 14%, and O2 is above 0.5%, you may be looking at a catalytic convertor. if you pass, then happy joy. but still look at your readings. a 'just barely' passed is giving you a heads up to plan for future repairs.

any questions, feel free to pm me.

df
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)