BMW Werkz banner

ebay intake

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Mattitjah 
#1 ·
hey guys i decided i want to put piping to my intake and maybe get 3-5 hp out of it, just an idea! but im going to do it off of ebay i have found two intakes for my car the first being short ram, the second being cold air long ram! can you guys check them both out and tell me which one i should get for my car! also does the first one(short ram) seem like a good one the piping is pretty short..

heres the links
short- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...2&category=6763

long- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...1&category=6763

David

#2 ·
i like them both but i personal would go with active autowerks intake it is sick they got this housing thing but if u want ed to go with those go with the short for ease of installing but if u potrentially want more power go with the long but ithink u will have to cut into the wheel well

#7 ·
are u sure the CAI one will fit without any cutting? it looks so long? and to fit into a 318 front end? i dont know it just doesnt looks like it has enough room for the MAFS and all that piping but maybe... cuz i guess you get rid of that black plastic piping huh, but i might be able to move around a few things to get it all the way down there haha im gonna go look at it!

David

#11 ·
I bought the long one and so far it has been good. There is no cutting of the wheel well. I wasn't to happy with them. It is a good intake but i have the sports edition and i had to take out the brake ducts and the tempture sensor. I remounted the temp sensor but there was nothinig i could do about the brake duct. Over all it was a good intake. Maybe i will post some pics up. I painted it all black to look stock. Also i would go with the longer one because i tried just hooking up the upper piece of the intake and it didn't sound as good as it did with the whole thing in.

#12 ·
Originally posted by Keehnel1414@Feb 23 2004, 02:05 AM
I bought the long one and so far it has been good. There is no cutting of the wheel well. I wasn't to happy with them. It is a good intake but i have the sports edition and i had to take out the brake ducts and the tempture sensor. I remounted the temp sensor but there was nothinig i could do about the brake duct. Over all it was a good intake. Maybe i will post some pics up. I painted it all black to look stock. Also i would go with the longer one because i tried just hooking up the upper piece of the intake and it didn't sound as good as it did with the whole thing in.
if you could post pics that would be so great! i would really like to see some pics of this! so ou bought this same one or what? Also where is the temp sensor located and can you tell me where you put the temp sesnsor after you moved it? ALso did you feel any HP gain? and was the instal moderatly ez, once again pics would be great bro!@

David

#13 ·
if you know what angle to bend the pipes at, you can get some tube stock and have an exhuast shop bend it as you need to fit where you want it to fit. One thing I have noticed is that CAIs and ellipsoids dont really fit in that space. Once I actually get the propper HID kit back and install the whole set up, then I plan to make a custom heat sheild and have a custom pipe cut and bent to my specs.

#14 ·
Originally posted by El Presidente@Feb 23 2004, 02:18 AM
if you know what angle to bend the pipes at, you can get some tube stock and have an exhuast shop bend it as you need to fit where you want it to fit. One thing I have noticed is that CAIs and ellipsoids dont really fit in that space. Once I actually get the propper HID kit back and install the whole set up, then I plan to make a custom heat sheild and have a custom pipe cut and bent to my specs.
wait so the pipe i need is called tube stock? Or what? also where can i buy this and how much would it cost for how much ineed? thanks

David

#15 ·
tube stock is way of saying whatever mind of metal stock you want in a tube shape. In this case, aluminum is best due to heat retention/repulsion properties. $30-50 should be enough to cover material, cutting, and bending. If you wanted to go extra-cheap, you can use aluminum flex tubing for dryer vents and rig a system of bracets and zip ties to hold it in place and shape.

#16 ·
pt 2 of this answer adresses other parts and where to buy.

The only part you'll really need to buy for the car is a filter and duct adpater, such as this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=2890931619

All you'll need then is a way to connect your pipe to the bracket (welding is best, but lots of heat-resistant adhesive and sealant will also do the job). You can find aluminum tubing at most hardware stores in varying lengths and costs. Whatever shop does your bending should also have some siutable stock as well, allthough most likely at a higher price

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.