E36 wiring diagram with colour codes and plug descriptions needed - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 07:57 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lord Jock the III is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
E36 wiring diagram with colour codes and plug descriptions needed

Okay newbie here but I have seached the forums for the answers I require and haven't found anything except some threads from 2006 that have no real answers.

First I will explain my prediciment.

I bought a nice 1991 320i sedan nice and cheap and it had a dodgy motor so of course I flogged the bejebus out it and then it died. BIG time death, ran out of oil after overheating itself and the had a massive heat seizure and no go any more.

I picked up a second hand engine of ebay nice and cheap and removed the old engine and then work went balistic and I was working 12 hr night shifts for 12 weeks. When I removed the engine I just pulled the plugs off and didn't mark the connectors in anyway as I thought if I didn't remember surely I could find a wiring diagram with colour codes and descriptions so I could put it back together.

After fitting this engine I now have all these connectors which all look the same. I have downloaded and printed the free electrical troubleshooting manauls but they are good for chasing down one wire and I could use these if I have to but am looking for a link or even pictures or something that will help me get my car up and running again.

Any links to photos, downloads, links, manuals ( I already have the bently manual) or even telling me which book to buy would be greatly appreciated. I have searched google but haven't had much success.

Thanks heaps in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Gear Member

BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Jock the III View Post
Okay newbie here but I have seached the forums for the answers I require and haven't found anything except some threads from 2006 that have no real answers.

First I will explain my prediciment.

I bought a nice 1991 320i sedan nice and cheap and it had a dodgy motor so of course I flogged the bejebus out it and then it died. BIG time death, ran out of oil after overheating itself and the had a massive heat seizure and no go any more.

I picked up a second hand engine of ebay nice and cheap and removed the old engine and then work went balistic and I was working 12 hr night shifts for 12 weeks. When I removed the engine I just pulled the plugs off and didn't mark the connectors in anyway as I thought if I didn't remember surely I could find a wiring diagram with colour codes and descriptions so I could put it back together.

After fitting this engine I now have all these connectors which all look the same. I have downloaded and printed the free electrical troubleshooting manauls but they are good for chasing down one wire and I could use these if I have to but am looking for a link or even pictures or something that will help me get my car up and running again.

Any links to photos, downloads, links, manuals ( I already have the bently manual) or even telling me which book to buy would be greatly appreciated. I have searched google but haven't had much success.

Thanks heaps in advance
Shiiiittttt. Personally, I had to get a new motor less than a year ago. Overheated and the headgasket blew... I just had my dad's mechanic deal with it. I don't have a damn cherry picker. It's way early in the morning over here and I either haven't unpacked all of my books or I left it at my folks for my dad to drool over but... It starts with a B. The Chilton is also supposed to be really good. Still, when you walk into your local car store, I would still say, "This is my problem and I'm thinking of this book, what do you think?" They are often just goobers, but one more thought on it wouldn't hurt.

Last edited by BeachBunny; 07-05-2010 at 11:28 AM.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 12:57 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I think the book BeachBunny is talking about is the Bentley Publishers manual. It may help. I will take a look at mine and see if I can find what you need.

#4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 03:12 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Found this after a little more searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque View Post
I know I had some of those posted as a .zip file a long while ago in the FAQ section but the link has since died:

http://www.autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/BMW

Just pick your year and model up at the top, then in the far right box pick WIRING DIAGRAMS.
This was a great help but I have two wires I cannot work out were they go. I connect the battery and get nothing now. NO lights, nothing. I have power at the jump start plug under the bonnet, power to the starter and to the alternator. 13.3 volts ( freshly charged battery)

I have a black yellow wire that goes to the starter and another black yellow wire that has a sligtly larger eye crimp on the end. It looks to big to go to the stater as the the starter wire has a smaller crimp.

Also on the test plug there is a eye crimp coming of the side of it. Can someone tell me were that one goes please.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member

acid86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to acid86 Send a message via Yahoo to acid86
You say you get -nothing-? Did you check to see if you had everything grounded? I know it sounds stupid simple but it's something that is so simple, it often gets over looked.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
#6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 04:03 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
found out my problem. Had the power supply wire that went to the fuse box on the starter and also had both black and yellow wires on the top bolt on the starter not one on top and one underneath.

Car starts but runs like a dog at the moment and the starter is jamming on now. Thats tomorows job to fix it.

will keep you posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)