E36 Winter Driving Tips! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2005, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
quality

Car: 2001 330i & 2011 550i
Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
E36 Winter Driving Tips!

During the holidays you will be driving alot more. Whether shopping for XBox 360s, Ipod & Plasma screen TVs or wisiting GrandMa's house you MUST maintain your car for winter driving. and BMW are no exceptions especially the E36 3 Series.

1. Make sure air is in the spare tire. Most important thing that 99% of drivers forget to do.

2. Check tire pressure/ shocks & suspensions. Cold weather affects tire pressure more than warm weather.

3. Get snow tires or winter ready tires if needed. Now is the time to get new tires anyway if you need them.

4. Keep personal squeegy in trunk in addition to snow scraper.

5. Get WD40 and armorall if you don't have already & keep in trunk.

6. check radiator and make sure it's not loose or sagging as can be common on the E36 car. (see radiator fix DIY)

7. Remember BMWs 1992- 1998 3 series BMWs are ALL rear wheel drive and cannot handle snow driving well. Even with traction control, correct tire pressure/snow tires or chains. So think twice before driving out into snow storms.

8. E36 Power steering fluid in the reservoir tends to dribble out and leak in colder weather. So refills may be needed more often.

9. Update belts and tension pulleys if needed.

10. Make sure battery is good. Lots of battery failures in cold weather. Also keep jumper cables handy in the trunk this time of year.

This list is additive....so please add your own ideas.
Thanks,
Delmarco

Old 11-26-2005, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Power Shifting

Car:
Photos:
Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
what do u need armoral and wd40 for?

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
Old 11-26-2005, 07:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Storamin is an unknown quantity at this point
lubrication... use your imagination where you'll need lubrication at.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Passatie is on a distinguished road
Here is a good tip SLOW DOWN
Old 11-27-2005, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
quality

Car: 2001 330i & 2011 550i
Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
wd40...
lubing stiff joints and cleaning road salt and gunk out your engine...
armorall...for your dash to prevent the plastic from drying out and fading in the winter weather...
Old 11-27-2005, 08:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
pop0tart is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pop0tart
Throwing a bag of sand or salt in the trunk helps. It will help if you get stuck and the weight over the weels will help for traction.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
dawg is an unknown quantity at this point
good comments - couple of extra's ;
1)Screen wash - topped up, with lots of anti freeze, wiper blades OK also ?
2)Fuses - check all spares present and correct - which saved my ass last winter
Old 11-29-2005, 04:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
WardJ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to WardJ Send a message via MSN to WardJ Send a message via Yahoo to WardJ
two bags of sand/salt work. granted the last bmw i drove in the winter (my fathers '97 740iL) i put 110 pounds (two bags laying lengthwise) in the back and it worked fantastic (couldn't get much worse than southern nh aka nor'easter HELL). give that a try
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
Muffler - Check! - Ansa free flow
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Keyless Entry + Alarm - BMW Security Systems
Power Flow Intake

THE founding member of "i don't hate on del"
Old 11-29-2005, 06:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
topless_328 is on a distinguished road
WASH YOUR CAR! There can't be anything worse than the ppl who just let the salt work on their paint. Its not that hard to find a good car wash that uses HOT water and soap. I still managed to wash my car almost once a week up here in Canada. The key to the entire process get the underbody too.

Ya it might freeze and bit, just a quick towel down of the door seems and seals and your car can look like you've stored it all winter when spring comes 'round. (not soon enough)

Just my tip....

Mike

-Automotive Engineer in Training-
Old 11-30-2005, 04:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
catalyst. is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to catalyst.
Throw 100-150 lb's in the trunk and slow down.. thats about it.

Depending on what tires your running you may want to swap them out.. running high performance tires in the winter isnt impossible.. but ussually the tread patterns suck in the snow.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
KILOCHARLIE is an unknown quantity at this point
My tip...

If you've got chrome wheels, replace them with you standard rims until the spring. The salt they spread on the road with eat them up and leave you needing a new set in the next year.

Also make sure your radiator has enough anti-freeze in it. The worst thing that could happen is for your water to freeze and crack your engine. The water should look distinctly blue. If it's only a tint, it needs topping up.

my 2 cents
Old 12-02-2005, 11:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
7th Gear (SMG)

Car:
Photos:
4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
I disagree with number 7. FWD is just more predictable. AWD only helps when starting from a stop. If you're used to oversteer than you should feel no less confident in a RWD. Steer in the direction of the skid - not the way the car is facing.

That having been said, drive safe, drive smart. Speed is relatively irrelevant when considering inclimate weather. Before you think that is a stupid statement - it's not speed, but the change in speed and direction that kills you. Going from 0-20 in 0.5 seconds is more dangerous than 60-70 in 5.0 seconds. Remember that. No sudden changes in energy. Keep it smooth and constant, and you should be safe at any speed.
That being said, take the longest line, the most forgiving curve, and try not to use the brake. This will keep you alive.

And from personal experience, Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S's throughout the middle of their lifespan are a bad idea on non-salted roads. Just FYI.

These are all very good tips (especially about the radiator bits) - keep 'em coming!

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
Old 12-02-2005, 12:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
For Teh Walrus?

Car: 1980 635csi euro
Photos:
WALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to beholdWALSRU is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to WALSRU Send a message via MSN to WALSRU
Let your car sit and idle for a little bit before you drive it. Even if you drive conservatively let your car warm up if it's below freezing outside, then drive it. Your car is a lot like you in the winter, takes a little longer to wake up.

1980 635csi Euro . . . Current
1985 535i . . . Soon to be parted out
2001 Subaru Forester . . . DD
Old 12-02-2005, 05:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
switchd9497 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to switchd9497
nice tips guys, ill defintely have to use these for my new 325.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Science Roolz!

Car: 2011 Mazda2, 1990 Miata
Photos:
SHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to allSHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WALSRU
Let your car sit and idle for a little bit before you drive it. Even if you drive conservatively let your car warm up if it's below freezing outside, then drive it. Your car is a lot like you in the winter, takes a little longer to wake up.
yeah whenever i give my friends rides in the winter they get pissed that i sit for a minute warming up my car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)