E36 Water Pump Worry - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 05:53 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
endomorph is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
E36 Water Pump Worry

I have just replaced the water pump on my E36 Compact, but I have a worry that maybe someone may be able to displace.

The pump bearings fell out a couple of days ago and the car was stopped within 8-10 seconds of it failing. I changed the pump yesterday (after getting some great advice from this site). Once I removed the pump, I noticed that the impeller was totally destroyed ! I managed to pull out a few pieces from the cavity where the pump sits and I flushed the engine out for about 10 minutes, but I estimate that I have only got about 20% of the impeller !!

I continued with the replacement, all finished and started the car. No leaks / rattles / knocks.

Should I be worried about the remaining pieces possibly shattering the new pump impeller or will they get trapped somewhere ?

Am I right in thinking that the path of the water flow from the pump is round the block, out the top and through the thermostat back into the rad ?

If so, I assume that the thermostat would catch any stray parts ?

Any advice greatly appreciated....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 06:58 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
yes your right that is the path it travels in the easiest way to put it, are the parts harmful? well thats a good question, i would think not only because this is not an uncomon problem with the e36's im sure its happened a few times, and ive yet to read any threads regarding any after affects of the impeller failing. where they go im not sure, to be honest if the particles are big enough i would be worried if it might actually block or clog up the thermostat return but even than that to me sounds like a long shot. i say just keep an eye out for any issue in regards to the temperature, maybe if the peices were brittle enough they might break down in time.

#3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 11:23 AM
3rd Gear Member

rej487 has a spectacular aura about rej487 has a spectacular aura about rej487 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to rej487
I had about seven fan blades dismantle when my water pump bursts... those are probabably what you need to be cautious of, not the impellars from the water pump!

I had 2 hoses go snip lol and many people lose their radiators!

Just consider yourself lucky and look out for any cooling issues like Furious said

1993 BMW 325I - Alpina White
#4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 02:45 PM
n00b

endomorph is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
OK thanks chaps, puts my mind at rest. I thought it would be the answer, but I just wanted to be sure.

I have run the car a few times now and listened very carefully, but I have not heard anything. Just to be safe, I may remove the thermostat housing this weekend and see if anything is caught up and back flush the rad in case any material made it in there.

My baby lives to breath another day ....

-
#5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 03:05 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
great let us know, and throw some higer resolution pictures in the picture forum, nice looking.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)