E36 upgrade questions - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 10:13 AM
3rd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Q_BMW is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Q_BMW Send a message via MSN to Q_BMW
(Thread Starter)
Hey guys
I had a question about 2 upgrades I am thinking of putting on my list to do in the near future.
The first on is the CAI. Has anyone done this on a 96 328i ? The reason I ask this is because if the air filter stretches all the way down to behind the front bumper, I will need to move out the horn and oil filter, as right now there is no open patch for the pipe to go through. Also, does CAI improve performance even a little bit ? or its just sound ?

Secondly, since mine is a 96 and i have OBDII, I thought I could NOT chip my car without converting it to OBDI or using a shark injector. I found 2 chips for my car, both seem to readily fit on with no conversion. One is from Dinan and can be found here: http://dinancars.com/SeriesPrint.asp?prod=888
the other one is from bavarian auto. Since there is no direct Link, I pasted the info for the bavauto one below. is this the same as a confonti injector? is that better ?

My main goal is to increase low end torque and/or overall performance.

Thanks for the advice in advance. Q
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When designing cars, BMW programs certain limitations into their on-board diagnostics software (OBDII). Our Power Programmer remaps you BMW's software to improve performance across the full rpm range. You'll realize quicker acceleration, faster 1/4 mile times and a higher top speed. Installation is an easy, do-it-yourself operation that takes less than an hour and WHAM! - your BMW is instantly faster, and more responsive. The Power Programmer also captures your BMW's factory settings so you can restore them at any time. NOTE: to perform the Power Programmer upgrade you will need a good-quality 10-amp battery charger to maintain your BMW's battery at a minimum of 12.5 volts. If you do not have a battery charger, try to borrow one from a friend. Otherwise, they are available at many department stores and auto parts retailers. only for North American specification cars

Performance chart for 328i/is and 528i.

Performance chart for 3.2 liter M3, M Roadster & Coupe.

Part Number Description Price
BAVPP3 Bavarian Autosport Power Programmer
$399.95

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>JUST SOLD:</span> <span style='color:blue'>01 BMW 330i with Sport &amp; M Package(5sp)</span></span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>Past:</span> <span style='color:red'>1996 BMW 328i</span></span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><a href='http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=10038932107&page=1&sort_o rder=0' target='_blank'>PICTURES!!</a></span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
A shark Injector is the TMS version of a chip. It is a reprogammer. Thats what the dinan thing is, just a different name because its a different company and product. Does the same thing.

CAIs improve HP some, but its up to you to justify the cost. You will need to relocate one horn to the CC braket by the airbox. The oil filter is fine.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
#3 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 10:54 AM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Hey
thanks for the reply, is it hard to remount the horn ? I am kinda new at getting hands on....
also if i had to choose would you recommend the dinan chip or CAI ? also this CAI on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW
In the pic it shows this filter fits right on top in the open patch the airbox creates when removed. I know it will not give as cold of an intake as if on the bottom , but would it be good ?

Also, for the dinan chip, is it somethin that I just hook up and I am all set, or I need to do some reprogramming ?
thanks again
Q

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>JUST SOLD:</span> <span style='color:blue'>01 BMW 330i with Sport &amp; M Package(5sp)</span></span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>Past:</span> <span style='color:red'>1996 BMW 328i</span></span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><a href='http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=10038932107&page=1&sort_o rder=0' target='_blank'>PICTURES!!</a></span>
#4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 11:06 AM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
hard is a relative term. Given your level of experience, adding a CAI wouldn't be easy, but I'm sure with patience, you'd be fine.

I would definately take the chip over the CAI. And while I am not familiar with OBDII chips, the Shark Injector or Power Programer do both require some programing, but it's terriblely simplistic in nature.

#5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 11:14 AM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Hey
ok cool, I know you guys said the shark injector and the dinan chips are pretty much the same, but which one would u guys recommend ? they both cost around the same too...could not find either one of them on ebay for 96 328i
Q

#6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 11:29 AM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
hey
the Conforti Performance Software & Shark Injector claims to increase:
bhp by 34 @ @ 6000
torque by 40 @ 4500
the dinan one only claims to increase :
Peak Horsepower Gain: 9 @ 6000 rpm
Peak Torque Gain: 9 lb/ft @ 5000 rpm

The shark injector seems way to high compared to the dinan and also from a realistic standpoint ......does anyone know how accurate these readings are and whcih one I should tust to increase performance ?
How true would the below statement be too ?
"Not only do we re-map part-throttle fuel and spark, we also re-map other areas of chips other tuners don't touch - such as acceleration enrichment, transition fueling (how the car responds to rapid change in pedal, and VANOS control as needed to optimize the vehicle for operation on premium fuel (91+ octane)."--Shark Injector

thanks again
Q

#7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 11:52 AM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
That is kinda conservative, but Dinan is generally realistic and not hopeful. These chips that claim gains of 30 or 40 hp is crap. Realistically you might see up to 20 hp and 25-30ft-lbs of tq increase. If I were you, I might buy the shark injector.

#8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 11:57 AM
Neutral Member

mixalot is an unknown quantity at this point
From all I've gathered, the best money that can be spent on an E36 is buying a JC chip. That's my next purchase fo' sho'.

Past ownership: 1987 325is, 1988 325i, 1995 325is, 1996 325i Convertible, 1994 325is.

Current ownership (wife's): 2006 X3 3.0i

Future ownership: 3-series of some sort

My office.
My law blog.
#9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 12:09 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

CiscoKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CiscoKid
the horn isnt hard to move

#10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 01:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
hey
thanks , think i will go with the shark injetor too....
also for this CAI on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
It looks like it site on top right ? no need to move the horn for this one ? obviously air wont be as cold as down there, but shud be good ?
Q

#11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 01:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
i meant sits on the top right.
incase that link doesnt work, here it is again
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

#12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 04:09 PM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Hey
Just purchased my JC TMS Shark Injector. Cant wait.
So for charging the battery , I just buy and charger and hook it up to the battery in the trunk ?
thanks again
Quasar

#13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 08:12 PM
WOT in Reverse

Hey Q, congrats on your Shark, I haven't used one, but it seems pretty straight forward. Give the manual a onceover, that should answer any questions.

Don't buy a CAI like that. IF you don't want to spend a lot of money on one, wait until you do, or make your own, don't waste a moderate amount of money on some bullsh#t brand generic CAI.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)