e36 suspension - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1990 325i convertible, 1990 525i
Photos:
Toby is on a distinguished road
e36 suspension

I am looking to pick my wife up a e36 with 120k on it. The car will be used to drive her back and fourth to school for the next few years. She'll be driving roughly 140 miles a day. I want to go with the e36 because I just love this car. My question is what would be the best struts and shocks to go with? I have seen a lot on the Bilstein struts but what is the difference between the sport and touring strut. I see that the price varys but am I going to get a good highway ride with the sport? It looks to be heavier made so that is why I was looking at it I just want to make sure she has a nice comfortable ride going 70 down the interstate....

thanks in advance...
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
I am looking to pick my wife up a e36 with 120k on it. The car will be used to drive her back and fourth to school for the next few years. She'll be driving roughly 140 miles a day. I want to go with the e36 because I just love this car. My question is what would be the best struts and shocks to go with? I have seen a lot on the Bilstein struts but what is the difference between the sport and touring strut. I see that the price varys but am I going to get a good highway ride with the sport? It looks to be heavier made so that is why I was looking at it I just want to make sure she has a nice comfortable ride going 70 down the interstate....

thanks in advance...
The Sports do have a more solid & thicker piston.....but they are generally used with lowering springs & other suspension upgrades......The Sports are actually shorter in height. I went with the Sports, but I also lowered my car with H&R sport springs.......

Maybe just go with the HD's.......

Application guide Link:

http://www.bilsteinus.com/305bilstei...ationguide.pdf

jb

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 09-08-2010 at 08:52 PM.
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car: 1991 318is, 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
Photos:
Nick_318is is on a distinguished road
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nick_318is
Depends on what you want the car to be like for 140 miles a day. You might want to try the HD struts if you want to maintain the same comfort in the ride.

Here is what Bilstein has to say about their different products:
Quote:
GETTING THE RIDE THAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU
Bilstein mono-tube gas pressure shock absorbers are available in a wide variety of sizes and stiffness settings, depending upon the vehicle type and use. All Bilstein shocks absorbers instantaneously self-adjust to changing road surfaces; in addition, their performance does not gradually decline from age, use or heat, requiring no compensating manual adjustments as with conventional multi-tube shocks. Shock stiffness settings are divided into five usage categories shown below.
SPORT (S) - B8
For the performance-minded driver, Bilstein “Sport” shocks deliver absolute mastery of the road surface. Designed to push a car’s suspension to its performance peak, these shocks are well suited for use with special springs, anti-sway bars or other suspension upgrades.
HEAVY DUTY (HD) - B6
For most vehicles including full-size sedans, SUVs and trucks. These shocks provide improved handling and stability without sacrificing ride comfort. They offer super damping ability that makes them ideal for heavy hauling for occasional off-road use, while maintaining and exceptional “street” ride.
COMFORT (C) - B4
For the driver who wants maximum ride comfort, with the virtual elimination of “bottoming out” and vehicle sway. These shocks generally maintain and, in many cases, enhance a vehicle’s original ride qualities while increasing road-handling and overall stability.
5100 SERIES
For specific manufactured lift kits utilizing the stock OEM mounting configuration. Self-adjusting deflective disc valving, independent rebound and compression with superior control for larger diameter tires.
RALLE, RACE
For rigorous demands of driving competition. Their success should be measured by the unprecedented levels of acceptance and use by professional drivers in virtually all major Motorsports. Include such features as spherical bearings, adjustable spring seats longer or shorter than standard dimensions. *Not suited for street use.
You can use this link for the rest of the application guide:
http://bilsteinus.com/305bilsteinapplicationguide.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammahamma View Post
If I wanted to date you, I would have bought you dinner first.
Nick_318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1990 325i convertible, 1990 525i
Photos:
Toby is on a distinguished road
thanks to both of you for the info... I have thought about lowering it but the most important thing here for her is comfort....
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
Go with tourings; if she cares about comfort, she's going to hate you for getting the HDs. They are incredibly stiff.

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)