E36 Sedan Rear Light Setup.... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 07:57 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SinSeven is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Alright, i've been coming the "searched" threads, but now i've come into another problem that might be the cause of my headaches.

I've been having a problem with my brake lights not working. I've replaced the bulbs and nothing ! I checked the brake light fuse under the bonnet and again...nothing ! Could it be a relay? All the other lights work fine though (parking,turn and backup).

So i started searching, hoping to maybe find my answer and then i read a post where someone said the brake lights are on the outer side. Is this true?

Plain and simple........Where are the break light bulbs supposed to be. Inner or outter?

(This is just one tail lamp)
Right now, my lights are....Parking/parking/Brake

Or should they be.....Brake/parking/parking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 12:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Hamfisted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by SinSeven@Aug 12 2005, 07:57 AM
Alright, i've been coming the "searched" threads, but now i've come into another problem that might be the cause of my headaches.

I've been having a problem with my brake lights not working. I've replaced the bulbs and nothing ! I checked the brake light fuse under the bonnet and again...nothing ! Could it be a relay? All the other lights work fine though (parking,turn and backup).

So i started searching, hoping to maybe find my answer and then i read a post where someone said the brake lights are on the outer side. Is this true?

Plain and simple........Where are the break light bulbs supposed to be. Inner or outter?

[snapback]369194[/snapback]

My stock tail lights were Brake/Park/Park but I replaced the stock amber lens tail light assembly with some cheap Taiwan clear lens job (actually fits perfectly...) and I set the bulbs up as Brake/Brake/Park.
Did you check the brake light switch under the driver's side dash panel? It's attached to the brake pedal but hidden by the lower facia under the dash. I had to replace mine a year ago. They just wear out. You can take it apart and clean the contacts though.

Mike
'97 328i
#3 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 01:13 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Dude you have no idea how much help that was. I will definately check that switch today.

Also, is this switch found on any year BMW?

At first i started thinking that the hot plate where the light bulb socket twists into had defaulted. But i had no idea we even had a brake light switch. Thanks bro !!!
#4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 04:58 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
I got a problem with the connector on my passenger tail light. The whole assmebly decides randomly when it will and will not work. I was told it might be the connector, just havn't gone by to get one yet. Some times I go back there, and the connector has found a way to disconnect itself. I think it is vibrating the connection loose. Which would explain it's sparatic behavior, until it unplugs its self. So bascially what I am saying, is check and make sure it is plugged in. You have to pull the trunk carpet and trim behind the light, not a big deal at all.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 06:16 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Kidd. I'll check that out also. This would be the connector that runs down the plastic housing underneath the carpet, right?
#6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 07:14 AM
Neutral Member

wcre34 is an unknown quantity at this point
im having a similar problem too except my tail light brake lights come on but not the 3rd brake light could it just be the bulb..
#7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 11:07 AM
1st Gear Member

victorgallas is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by SinSeven@Aug 12 2005, 06:57 AM

[snapback]369194[/snapback]

Always go with the easy things on this issues, check lightbulbs and fuses, conections firsts to make sure all is good. If after doiing this you still have problems. then keep in mind the following.

BMW e36 had an electrical issue in reguard to the electrical harness that goes from the body of the car to the trunk lid. The plastic assembly where the wires go trough is capable of damaging the wires inside of it and causing shorts, or weird electrical problems.

Anyway keep this in mind, its a good place to check since bmw issued several service bulletins about it. BMW also sells a replacement harness that goes from the body to the trunk lid.

Hope this helps.

victor

You are a BMW driver when you become part of the "Ultimate Driving Machine"

Fraude an Fahren
BMW > Bayerische Motorenwerke

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
#8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

325iS is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinSeven
I know on my '92 E36, the brake lights are the inner most bulbs (single-filament bulb). The outer bulbs are dual-filament, but the high wattage filament is used for the rear fog lights.

Also, when checking your brake lights, keep in mind that the ignition must be on for them to work. If the key is off, the brake lights don't work.

-Brian-

'88 Mustang LX coupe
- - - 11.56 @ 120 - - - 410 rwhp / 459 rwtq (Naturally Aspirated)
Hell yeah, it's a street car!
'92 325iS - - - - - - - - - 15.328 @ 89.70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)