BMW Werkz banner

E36 M3 UUC Flywheel Wrong Clutch

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  bimmerfan620 
#1 ·
E36 UUC 8.5lb flywheel. Do you have problems with the proper engagement of your clutch. When you adjust your clutch stop so that it (clutch) will release properly do you sometimes hear a grinding sound (metal contacting revolving clutch body) You could be a victim of being sold the wrong model clutch. There was or is some confusion in the industry about the substitutability of E28 clutches for E34 clutches. Apparently if you have an E34 and need to replace the clutch an E28 clutch will work. But---there is some dimensional difference between the two. It seems the E28 clutch is slightly thicker than the E34. When the e28 clutch is used in conjunction with the UUC flywheel there can be contact between the clutch fork and the clutch.

Now. Ask me how I know this. I will start from the beginning but try to keep it short. I put the flywheel in myself. One huge PITA. I mistakenly hydraulically disconnected the slave cylinder. After reassembly, I never could establish a good position for my clutch stop. The clutch either would not entirely release when the car or the weather was cold or would cause the above grinding sound when the car or weather was warm. Not knowing any better I thought it was air in the system. I did more bleeding than a chainsaw movie----to no avail. Then I replaced the slave cylinder-----to no avail. Then I replaced the master cylinder-----to no avail. I finally called UUC today and Rob explained what the problem is. Unknowing retailers were being sent E28 clutches and selling them with the UUC flywheels. I purchased mine from Bimmerworld but there are other dealers who did the same thing. Bimmerworld is currently deliberating on how to recompense the problem. I will post the outcome. If any of you are experiencing similar problems please post.

See less See more
#2 ·
GEEZZZZZZ man, talk about a bunch of crap...you had to purchase those extra parts even though you didn't need them because that company F'd up and gave you the wrong parts..... thats bs..... I wouldn't do business with that bimmerworld company anymore for they seem to work under severe negligence. what a crock..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.