BMW Werkz banner

e36 m3 mods????

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  AlpineSixAndSeven 
#1 ·
Alright guys. I see alot of postings for 325i, 328, and 318's. I have an 1997 e36 m3. I have a few question/concerns about doing some mod's on this car. I have put on K and N filter on wow! Anyway.... Exhuast... I have heard that the m'3 exhaust is pretty descent. That spending money on an exhuast could be a waste or not much. Your not really againing much in any hp. Adding a chip: I have had the computer reprogramed for the dealer which was to bump up the computer a little. My buddy which was a tech now service manager at the local BMW dealer says the when you add a new chip, you are risking the possiblity of the top of the pistions and valve smacking at high rpm's. Makes since. He has seen this happen more than once. What's the street say about this? New intake? Whats the store here? If this mod is done, what other if anything else needs to be done as well. Or is this a mod swap out. Intake off/ intake on. I do think I need new shocks and stuts. Do I need to also replace the springs. I do like the handling of this car, but it is only street driven. I really like the clover leaf exits. Thanks for any input.

#4 ·
local BMW dealer says the when you add a new chip, you are risking the possiblity of the top of the pistions and valve smacking at high rpm's.
This is completely false that is complete BS some chips raise the rev limiter which allows you to rev higher which would be you Over revving the engine that would be DRIVER error NOT software issues.... some people blame the lack of rev limiter was the reason they blew their engine..... or they did the typical "Money shift" high revs in third and shift into 2nd and not 4th and mechanically over rev the engine:eek:hnoes

exhaust there arn't many gains to be had here... mostly exhaust sound:D

Maybe a 3.5" intake and MAF and a set of Cams? How much are you looking to spend? I would fix everything else first...

#5 ·
Thanks I like a honesty. M3 are very nice. My M3 is mint. Just maybe looking to get some extra power.I have had this since '01. I have baby it since I purchased the car. No repairs needed except shocks & struts. What about replacing the springs?93k. I agree with the over revs. make since as well. Now I am from muscle power. Camero's and Mustages. When when wanted more power, a good set of rearend gears whould satisify most. Good old 355, 373. I don't see bmw's going this route. Any reason? Instant power/ torque.

#6 ·
You can put a 3.91 BUT I HIGHLY reccomend NOT doing it Unless you do the 6 speed swap too. The M3's 5th gaer is 1:1 so the 6 speed gives you over drive to make up for the rear diff's lower gear. Look for a Euro 6 speed for the e36;) I havea 6 speed in the garage ready to go out for a rebuild to go into my m3 when the transmission and/or clutch goes out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.