e36 m3 mods???? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 06:29 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bthipps is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
e36 m3 mods????

Alright guys. I see alot of postings for 325i, 328, and 318's. I have an 1997 e36 m3. I have a few question/concerns about doing some mod's on this car. I have put on K and N filter on wow! Anyway.... Exhuast... I have heard that the m'3 exhaust is pretty descent. That spending money on an exhuast could be a waste or not much. Your not really againing much in any hp. Adding a chip: I have had the computer reprogramed for the dealer which was to bump up the computer a little. My buddy which was a tech now service manager at the local BMW dealer says the when you add a new chip, you are risking the possiblity of the top of the pistions and valve smacking at high rpm's. Makes since. He has seen this happen more than once. What's the street say about this? New intake? Whats the store here? If this mod is done, what other if anything else needs to be done as well. Or is this a mod swap out. Intake off/ intake on. I do think I need new shocks and stuts. Do I need to also replace the springs. I do like the handling of this car, but it is only street driven. I really like the clover leaf exits. Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 08:27 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
If you're happy with the new air filter and small chip tuning, I'd leave it. M3's are awfully good right out of the box!

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Neutral Member

Texbeamer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthipps View Post
Alright guys. I see alot of postings for 325i, 328, and 318's. I have an 1997 e36 m3. I have a few question/concerns about doing some mod's on this car. I have put on K and N filter on wow! Anyway.... Exhuast... I have heard that the m'3 exhaust is pretty descent. That spending money on an exhuast could be a waste or not much. Your not really againing much in any hp. Adding a chip: I have had the computer reprogramed for the dealer which was to bump up the computer a little. My buddy which was a tech now service manager at the local BMW dealer says the when you add a new chip, you are risking the possiblity of the top of the pistions and valve smacking at high rpm's. Makes since. He has seen this happen more than once. What's the street say about this? New intake? Whats the store here? If this mod is done, what other if anything else needs to be done as well. Or is this a mod swap out. Intake off/ intake on. I do think I need new shocks and stuts. Do I need to also replace the springs. I do like the handling of this car, but it is only street driven. I really like the clover leaf exits. Thanks for any input.
it it was me,i would just take care of the regular maintenance and be done with it...m3's have more power and handle better than regular bmw's..
#4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 12:45 AM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
Quote:
local BMW dealer says the when you add a new chip, you are risking the possiblity of the top of the pistions and valve smacking at high rpm's.
This is completely false that is complete BS some chips raise the rev limiter which allows you to rev higher which would be you Over revving the engine that would be DRIVER error NOT software issues.... some people blame the lack of rev limiter was the reason they blew their engine..... or they did the typical "Money shift" high revs in third and shift into 2nd and not 4th and mechanically over rev the engine

exhaust there arn't many gains to be had here... mostly exhaust sound

Maybe a 3.5" intake and MAF and a set of Cams? How much are you looking to spend? I would fix everything else first...

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 05:24 PM
n00b

bthipps is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thanks I like a honesty. M3 are very nice. My M3 is mint. Just maybe looking to get some extra power.I have had this since '01. I have baby it since I purchased the car. No repairs needed except shocks & struts. What about replacing the springs?93k. I agree with the over revs. make since as well. Now I am from muscle power. Camero's and Mustages. When when wanted more power, a good set of rearend gears whould satisify most. Good old 355, 373. I don't see bmw's going this route. Any reason? Instant power/ torque.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
Quote:
Thanks I like a honesty. M3 are very nice. My M3 is mint. Just maybe looking to get some extra power.I have had this since '01. I have baby it since I purchased the car. No repairs needed except shocks & struts. What about replacing the springs?93k. I agree with the over revs. make since as well. Now I am from muscle power. Camero's and Mustages. When when wanted more power, a good set of rearend gears whould satisify most. Good old 355, 373. I don't see bmw's going this route. Any reason? Instant power/ torque.
You can put a 3.91 BUT I HIGHLY reccomend NOT doing it Unless you do the 6 speed swap too. The M3's 5th gaer is 1:1 so the 6 speed gives you over drive to make up for the rear diff's lower gear. Look for a Euro 6 speed for the e36 I havea 6 speed in the garage ready to go out for a rebuild to go into my m3 when the transmission and/or clutch goes out.

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)