OK, this has been driving me crazy for years, and I finally have a forum that may be able to help me.
I have a 1998 328iS (E36) 2-door with the sport package and light gray leather interior. I know not all the interior "soft" surfaces are really leather. So my question is, what specifically in the interior is leather and what is vinyl? I want to make sure during my cleaning ritual I'm using the right product on the right surface.
I'm sure the following are leather parts:
- steering wheel (except horn/airbag area)
- gear shift knob & cowel
- emergency break knob & cowel
- front seat "sitting" area (bottom and back)
- front seat side supports
- door inserts (light gray; dark gray part is vinyl)
- rear seat "sitting" area (bottom and back)
What I'm not sure of are the following:
- front and rear seat head rests
- center console arm rest (dark gray)
- rear seat side supports (light gray, but smoother than leather "sitting" portion of seat)
- rear seat side panel inserts (light gray; I'm sure dark gray part is vinyl)
The reason I'm not sure of the above is Lexol cleaner and conditioner doesn't seem to "work into" the material like the obviously leather materials.
Any guesses? Or better yet, anybody sure?