E36 Hood..oem Or Am? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2004, 08:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
duda is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

I was wondering if when you looked under the emblem of a OEM E36 hood if there would be a stamp there or some sort of number to tell if the hood is OEM or Aftermarket. Currently the hood on my car has a 4-digit number stamped into the metal under the hood roundel. Is there a way to tell if the hood is actually OEM or AM? Any locations for the BMW part number or something of the such? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

- AD
duda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2004, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Autotechnica is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Autotechnica Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Quote:
Originally posted by duda@Nov 9 2004, 08:03 PM
I was wondering if when you looked under the emblem of a OEM E36 hood if there would be a stamp there or some sort of number to tell if the hood is OEM or Aftermarket. Currently the hood on my car has a 4-digit number stamped into the metal under the hood roundel. Is there a way to tell if the hood is actually OEM or AM? Any locations for the BMW part number or something of the such? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

- AD
[snapback]227729[/snapback]
Why would you think it's aftermarket?
<a href='http://www.automobile-technik.com' target='_blank'>- PARTS FOR SALE</a>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...tc=1&quot;&gt;
Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica+Nov 9 2004, 08:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Autotechnica @ Nov 9 2004, 08:28 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-duda@Nov 9 2004, 08:03 PM

- AD
[snapback]227744[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

I've found that on every other part under the hood (i.e. fenders, intake, horn, little covers and boxes) all have BMW part numbers on them..The hood was replaced once but I'm not sure if it was replaced with a BMW OEM hood or an Aftermarket one. I have still yet to find the BMW logo, along with a part number beside it anywhere on this hood. I'm in the process of taking off the liner right now but so far I have not found any indication that its an OEM hood. Just wanted a second opinion or any information on where the part number would be found on the hood. My best guess would be under the emblem and the only thing it says is "H322." My best guess so far is its an aftermarket but I'm still not completely positive.

- AD

PS - Need to replace hood so I'm looking to see what was previously on it. Just curious.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by duda+Nov 9 2004, 08:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(duda @ Nov 9 2004, 08:40 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica@Nov 9 2004, 08:28 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-duda
Quote:
@Nov 9 2004, 08:03 PM

- AD

[snapback]227744[/snapback]

I've found that on every other part under the hood (i.e. fenders, intake, horn, little covers and boxes) all have BMW part numbers on them..The hood was replaced once but I'm not sure if it was replaced with a BMW OEM hood or an Aftermarket one. I have still yet to find the BMW logo, along with a part number beside it anywhere on this hood. I'm in the process of taking off the liner right now but so far I have not found any indication that its an OEM hood. Just wanted a second opinion or any information on where the part number would be found on the hood. My best guess would be under the emblem and the only thing it says is "H322." My best guess so far is its an aftermarket but I'm still not completely positive.

- AD

PS - Need to replace hood so I'm looking to see what was previously on it. Just curious.
[snapback]227758[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Cool, I'll check my stock hood which is in my basement right now. It has the emblem off anyways. I'll report back tomorrow
<a href='http://www.automobile-technik.com' target='_blank'>- PARTS FOR SALE</a>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-09-2004, 09:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Appreciate it alot..Just got done taking off the liner and couldn't find any part numbers so I'm thinking that it truly is an aftermarket hah. I would still like to hear back and see what you discovered on your hood. There also might be a black sticker on the passenger side that contains the part number along with the BMW logo, atleast thats what I've found on my fenders and trunk lid. Again I'd love to hear back from you about what you found on your stock hood!

- AD
Old 11-10-2004, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
I just checked and all I found was a sticker at the edge of the hood (driver side towards the rear of the hood) that has a BMW logo and my VIN number on it. It's a black and white sticker. I found no other engraved markings or even anything under the roundell. That still doesn't mean your hood is aftermarket. If you said the previous owner replaced the hood, it could still be original. A replaced hood wouldn't contain the VIN number. Also, the sticker could have come off. Do you have any pictures of the hood? Chances are, if it has all the holes for the expanding rivets used to mount the hood liner and the holes in the front for the rubber seal, it should be an original hood. How's the fitting?

Bry
Old 11-10-2004, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica@Nov 10 2004, 09:43 AM
I just checked and all I found was a sticker at the edge of the hood (driver side towards the rear of the hood) that has a BMW logo and my VIN number on it. It's a black and white sticker. I found no other engraved markings or even anything under the roundell. That still doesn't mean your hood is aftermarket. If you said the previous owner replaced the hood, it could still be original. A replaced hood wouldn't contain the VIN number. Also, the sticker could have come off. Do you have any pictures of the hood? Chances are, if it has all the holes for the expanding rivets used to mount the hood liner and the holes in the front for the rubber seal, it should be an original hood. How's the fitting?

Bry
[snapback]228077[/snapback]

There is no sign of the sticker being on the hood anywhere on the drivers side. I know what your talking about because I have those stickers on my fenders and trunk lid but anyways.. All the holes for the hood liner and rubber seal work perfectly to accommodate for themselves. I still have no idea what to think about the hood. The fit is (was) good..nothing to complain about. I'm replacing the hood because its bent and I can't get pictures anytime soon due to the fact that the digital camera is broken hah. I mean the edges still line up perfectly so I really don't know what to think of the situation. Any last thoughts? And do you know of any reliable aftermarket companies that deal in BMW hoods (95' 318i Sdn) that is if I can't find any well-priced OEM hoods? Thanks for your help..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)