BMW Werkz banner

e36 heater issues need help

6K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  chinonca 
#1 ·
Go figure as it turns cold I run into a heating problem. My defrost works great blows hot but as soon as I swith the controls to the dash vents it turns cold. I have tried blleding the coolant system and it did not work. Has anybody had this problem before? Any clues on how to fix? Any help would be great Thanks

#3 ·
I'm not too sure exactly what to tell you but it sounds like the source of the problem must be in your interior. If the air blows hot in any vent source at all, you should have hot air coming out of any vent position. When you change the vent source setting it's not an electronic process or hydraulic, I believe it's similar to the way your hood pops with a cable, the cable just spins and changes the direction of your vents... to have your problem kind of sounds impossible? Lol. You could take apart the dash a bit, see how it works, possibly that will reveal a further source of the problem. I highly doubt it's anything to do with your coolant system or in your engine bay.... you're already getting hot air sometimes...

#7 ·
Seven - Any luck with your heater ? I think I have the same problem with my 94 318i convertible. I have heat at the windshield and floor, but cold air in the middle of the dash. I have my dash 1/2 disassembled but thought I would look on the internet for more clues first. My Bentley manual is fairly good but can't show photos for everything. I'm going to look at the air distribution motors next (the small round motors which control duct flaps). The Bentley manual shows that I have 2 motor on the left under the dash (which I found) and 1 on the right (which I cannot find - I don't think my car has one on the right side). I also suspect the electrical or mechanical connection to that red-blue dial on the dash. I believe it controls some flap which may direct fresh air in somewhere. Thanks.

#8 ·
Real simple fellas. Before you start tearing shit apart, there is a vent adjustment as someone stated earlier. In the center vent there are two knobs for adjusttment, you must turn the knob on the left all the way to the left and give it a chance to warm up. This will have your heat working and your sinuses dried out in no time. If that doesnt work, here is an old trick I learned in college. Before going anywhere have a hot bitch with you and if it gets cold do something to make her breath heavy warms right up. Also works if you piss her off and she bitches for 20 minutes non stop. Just try the knobs.

#11 ·
If non of those opinions helps you might have to check your actuators behind your dash! I've been an automotive technician for 15 years and I came across those problems on several bmers, you have electronics actuators behind the dash that controls your a/c and heater flow! Real pain in the a$$ to work on if you dont have any patience!! Hope that will help you out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.