E36 Floorboard Lights Installed! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 01:04 AM
quality

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Two things for those interested in this simple to do mod.

1. I installed a small rocker switch (similar to the heated seat switch and in the same place next to the lighter) so that i could turn on/off the light whiles driving or whenever. This is different than the lights that came out the factory with later E36s and E46s that only come on and off with the doors.

My lights are also wired to power on with the opening of the doors and "fade" off (as the overhead lights do)with the closing of the doors and/or activation of the keyless alarm.

2. The kit is an OEM BMW light kit that cost about $12 at the stealership for both lights, clips and all the wiring. The parts numbers I forgot but if you google "E36 M3 Z3 BMW footwell lights kit" you will see a few websites that give parts numbers and installation info or they also sell the very kit.

Installion is alittle tough for pre 1996 E36. And the Glovebox must be removed to wire the lights. Also a fuse invovled in the interior lighting for the cabin MUST be upgraded before you begin the work.

If you follow the info given by the website you will be good to go.
Anther note DO NOT use aftermarket footwell kits or conventional bulbs to fabricate this kit or you can end up burning your BMW footwell insulaton foam (not good).

Anyway PM if you are interested. And I can sort of walk you thru. My friend David Hall at Dave's Auto in Long Island City, NY who is a genius for BMW cars did most of the hard wiring part and he removed my E36 glovebox in under a minute...whiles I turned my head to look in the trunk. So I can't help you with that. Also the E36 glovebox is known in the DIY circles to be a bitch to remove and put back on correctly if you are not familiar with the E36 car. So beware that auto shops may charge alot of dough for this labor alone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 02:26 AM
n00b

spencers is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Delmarco@Aug 17 2005, 11:04 PM
Also the E36 glovebox is known in the DIY circles to be a bitch to remove and put back on correctly if you are not familiar with the E36 car.
The way you talk it makes this sound easy!
#3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 09:18 AM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
(Thread Starter)
If it was then I would have done it myself in my own driveway and not at my friends shop.

The DIY for installing and wiring the lights are no harder that wood shop at High school. Wiring it up is a little harder only because you have to get to the correct wires for splicing. And to do so you MUST (keyword...MUST) remove the glovebox....and that is in itself hard for the average DIYer

#4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

cymorg is an unknown quantity at this point
it looks great!
#5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 01:32 AM
Neutral Member

cloaked95 is an unknown quantity at this point
That's Chill!!!!
#6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 01:39 AM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Yeah that looks good. The fade effect must be pretty damn cool.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 11:37 PM
quality

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by ///M Power@Aug 18 2005, 11:39 PM
Yeah that looks good. The fade effect must be pretty damn cool.
[snapback]370750[/snapback]
thanks Eric...

#8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 01:18 AM
Live Fast. Drive Faster.

buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute buuhh99 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to buuhh99
or u run a wire from the headlamp or the back vanity lights

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)