E36 Dash/guages Lights Mystery Solved! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 01:22 AM
quality

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Okay...I've seen lots of questions in posts about the mystery of the E36 orange dash lights....basically everyone wants to know what is supposed to be lit and what is not?

In a previous discussion here a few months back a few of us came to the conclusion that the otherside of the steering wheel where the headlight and fog light switch is located does not light up...because no one had E36 cars with the orange dash lights on that side from SoCal to London!

Well today I got back from David's Auto in NYC after I got my Fog lights and wiring installed and David himself replaced the bulbs behind the switch after he did the installation and voila my car came back to me with...well just look at the picture and see for yourself....

I'm not sure what bulbs go in there or even how to replace them....
Most of us that bought used e36 cars most likely bought our cars with this side of the dash dark because David said those bulbs tend to die the quickest because they don't dim with the rest of the dash...so they stay ON and stay BRIGHT all the time your car is on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lightdash.JPG
Views:	4665
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	16115  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member

ganjacyde is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ganjacyde Send a message via MSN to ganjacyde
wow, cool...i'm definately gonna see about fixing that bulb then.

<embed src="http://www.svcountryclub.com/upload/e36m42.swf" width="420" height="140" background="none" menu="false">
#3 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 07:43 AM
n00b

Nineholes is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi,

Recently changed this so here's a brief outline of how to get to the bulb.

On the underside of the Dash, directly below the Light Switch is a single Phillips Screw, Remove and put somewhere safe.

Next, Above the Light switch is a Vent. Pull this down and out. Mind out because this is real pain. Take you time.

When you have the vent out, you'll be able to see into the space behind the light switch. The Fog and Main Lights can be removed separately. Compress the flange for the switch you wish to remove (mains has the bulb) and slip out through the whole in the dash.

Take your time not to scratch the front of the light switch because these will show-up later when you've replaced the bulb.

The Light switch has the normal rotate-to-disconnect/connect plug that BMW use. Separate the switch from the wires (careful they're a little short).

The bulb you're after is on the side of the main light switch under a small cover. Remove, get replacement, and change.

Follow the above in reverse for refitting.

Tipů When replacing the Vent, which is a bigger pain going in, set the vent to fully open so that you can see clearly the rubber connector you're trying to align with.

Once done this make a big different and look great.

Hope this helped.

Cheers
#4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 03:45 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Nineholes@Jan 5 2005, 07:43 AM
Hi,

On the underside of the Dash, directly below the Light Switch is a single Phillips Screw, Remove and put somewhere safe.

Next, Above the Light switch is a Vent. Pull this down and out. Mind out because this is real pain. Take you time.

When you have the vent out, you'll be able to see into the space behind the light switch. The Fog and Main Lights can be removed separately. Compress the flange for the switch you wish to remove (mains has the bulb) and slip out through the whole in the dash.

Take your time not to scratch the front of the light switch because these will show-up later when you've replaced the bulb.

The Light switch has the normal rotate-to-disconnect/connect plug that BMW use. Separate the switch from the wires (careful they're a little short).

The bulb you're after is on the side of the main light switch under a small cover. Remove, get replacement, and change.

Tipů When replacing the Vent, which is a bigger pain going in, set the vent to fully open so that you can see clearly the rubber connector you're trying to align with.

Hope this helped.

Cheers
[snapback]264716[/snapback]
This is a must for the DIY section....Mods....hello!

#5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 03:57 PM
2nd Gear Member

frank3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine have always been lit...except for a brief period when one of the bulbs blew out. Easy to remove. Dealer charges an outrageous $4 or so for the bulb...but what the hay!

<span style='color:green'>1994 325i </span>- - - 75,000 mi.
No mods - - - very happy as is!
<span style='color:green'>1995 525i </span>- - - 154,000 mi.
No squeaks or rattles... unreal!
#6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 02:26 AM
n00b

narnold007 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineholes View Post
Hi,

Hope this helped.

Cheers
Hi

I'm trying to replace the light bulb behind my head lights switch and the fog light button to the left of my steering wheel and as per your post a long time ago you have done and i was wondering whether you could help me. I have an 1997 bmw E36 318is and have already removed the vent. What i can't figure out is where to put the bulb .... do i just rip that thin black plastic cover off and get a replacement from the dealer? The plastic cover is fastened by lock type washers that don't come off. If you could provide any assistance it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

AA
#7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 06:33 AM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
When you get the switch/vent out, look on the underside. There is a little white plastic tube. Pull that out; the bulb is inside it.

#8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 11:29 AM
n00b

narnold007 is on a distinguished road
Thanks

I replaced the bulb and the light still doesn't come on? Could this be a fuse problem? Any other ideas?

AA
#9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 04:40 PM
n00b

alan monro is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to alan monro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineholes View Post
Hi,

Hope this helped.

Cheers
Nine holes , thank you for a very interesting article I am positive that i will be using that information sooner or latter , I hope it is latter .. My problem is trying to get to the other side of the steering wheel down low to the lights illuminating the ac heater, air direction ,and fan speed knobs ( 316i 1995 compact ). Unfortunately for me no one seems to have that knowledge on this forum . Regards Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)