e36 coupe boot wont open - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
gary5661 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation e36 coupe boot wont open

i got a 320i coupe e36 up till the other day my boot opened fine now it wont. if i press the fob it doesnt unlock, and if i put the key in the lock it turns to the lerft but it wont turn to the right how am i going to get into it to sort it is there a quick fix?
gary5661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary5661 View Post
i got a 320i coupe e36 up till the other day my boot opened fine now it wont. if i press the fob it doesnt unlock, and if i put the key in the lock it turns to the lerft but it wont turn to the right how am i going to get into it to sort it is there a quick fix?
Try using a different key (if you recieved multiples from the previous owner). There is a "master" and a valet version of the key. The valet version will not unlock the trunk or the glove box. Also if you need to get something out of the trunk, on some of the coupes you can fold down the rear seats via a latch up near where the shoulder portion of the rear seat belt comes out.
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
tried that no good any other suggestions realy need boot open
Old 05-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
Check your keys and make sure that they are not worn down. If one is, stop using it. Most likely what has happened is that one of the keys is worn and has worn out the lock cylinder. I am not sure how to replace the trunk lock, but if you continue to use a bad key you will be facing problems on all of your other locks and ignition.... I had to replace the iginition cylinder on my old E36 due to the same reason...or pehraps that lock just went bad. You could try putting some graphite on the key and seeing if it will turn then...
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
TheJuice is on a distinguished road
I had a similar issue with my car. What I had to do was make sure the trunk was unlocked, then I crawled in through the back seat. I used a flat head screw driver to release the latch. It had apparently just gotten stuck and has worked fine since then.
TheJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
nah i cant turn the key to unlock it as it isnt turning left and i cant hear the central locking motor working in the boot
Old 05-15-2008, 04:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
TheJuice is on a distinguished road
I couldn't hear the electronic lock unlock mine either. Might be worth it to try crawling in there with a flashlite and a screwdriver anyway.
TheJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
internaut is on a distinguished road
Having exact problem

1997 M3 - boot will not open, regardless of key position. I hear mechanism sounding like it latches and unlatches, but pressing the trunk release doesn't appear to "catch" on anything. Incidentally, I never ever used the key to lock/unlock the boot. It just failed all of a sudden a couple of days ago. I will try the screwdriver trick next, but if that fails, anyone has other ideas - could it be a blown fuse?

Internaut
internaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
i sorted mine now wouldnt open with the key or fob what i did was drop the back seats unclip the carpet on the back of the boot lid reach in and you will see a rod going down to the lock just pull that up and it will release the boot then you can examine closer with the boot open
Old 08-02-2008, 03:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
internaut is on a distinguished road
Found problem - can someone identify part?

Got the boot finally open from the inside - tracked the problem to a disconnected latch release - seems like the metal rod has become detached from the plastic collar holding it to the release mechanism (see picture). When I attempt to reinsert it, the rod refuses to stay in place. I'm not sure if something else is missing like a plastic interlock or some such.

I can probably fashion a temporary fix but would someone identify the part so that I can order a replacement?

Thanks!

Tony

Last edited by internaut; 08-02-2008 at 03:51 PM.
internaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
srsamuel is on a distinguished road
Hi

I have a same prob with my e36 saloon but the rear seats dont fold down any one got any ideas on how to crack this nut

Steve
srsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)