e36 coolant issues - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 01:11 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sencinitas is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Angry e36 coolant issues

i have a 95 325is that over the last few years has had some serious cooling problems. first the expansion tank blew. the car got mildly hot and then i shut it down and within minutes it just blew up. since then i have put two more tanks on, new radiator, hoses, thermostat, new aluminum thermostat housing, and water pump.
now the car idles perfectly and does not overheat. as soon as i drive it for about 5 minutes the temp guage shoots to the red and comes back down quickly. when i pull over the expansion tank is bubbling and when i remove the bleeder screw it will steam for a good few minutes. while coolant is bubbling and screw is still in the upper radiator hose is rock hard and feels like it is about to blow. this is my first german car but i am pretty mechanically inclined. i have bled the system several different ways and would love if someone could diagnose my problem.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
Ok! firstly it is a pressurized system thats why its bubbling and steam from the bleed and pipe is rock hard this is normal, Have you changed the actual thermostat? do you have hot air from heater?, I presume you know how to diagnose head gasket gone ?

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#3 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 03:21 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thermostat is new...i finally bleed it for the thousandth time...took it on a 15mile test drive...no overheating and both hoses stayed soft. no signs of any head gasket problems but while on the test drive temp sensor would go from directly in the middle to the white line on the left towards cold. possibly from new thermostat?
#4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 03:36 AM
Help from over the pond

Very strange, at least its not over heating, It could be the temprature sensor playing up, run around for a few days and see how it goes,if it keeps doing middle to cold,sensor is your next option.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 02:10 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
alternator

e36 325is is finally running great. new alternator and battery but every morning battery light stays on till i tap the connections on the alternator a few times and then the light goes off. is it an internal problem with the alternator?
#6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Help from over the pond

I would say its the connetions on to the alt rather than the alt its self , but you never know, tighten up the bolted connections to the alt, remove the connector block, get a nail (finger nail) file and clean inside, also if it feels loose on the back of the alt, get a pair of long nose pilers and squeeze the female terminals slightly but not to much that you cant get the block back on.

#7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 05:14 PM
n00b

bavarian is an unknown quantity at this point
hi there have you checked your fan coupling.if thats not working it will overheat your car
#8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:19 AM
n00b

svitt is on a distinguished road
need help with a coolant issue

Hi Marti5
I have a 325 also but my question is about my 2002 745i. Maybe you can help me.
I have coolant leaking from a seal in the upper chamber? Apparently The coolant goes into an airspace and then leaks out of a weephole. ( The dealer replced an expansion tank two years ago) It is about a $5500.00 job with an independent BMW repair guy. Is it possible to fix by oneself? I have a friend that knows cars but not BMW's. Or would you just get rid of the 2002. It has been nothing but trouble since we bought it in 2005. Very disappointing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)