E36 Brake Upgrade and Rim Size Question - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 06:53 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hacker is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question E36 Brake Upgrade and Rim Size Question

Fellow Bimmer fans…

I need help in determining the correct brake upgrade to go for and the resulting rim size dilemma. I have a 99 E36 328ic, and feel that the brakes are very ‘soft’. I have quite a bit of travel in the brake pedal, and don't feel like the brakes bite hard. Dealer told me I need new Rotors and Pads. I drove an 07 335i the other day, and just barely touching the brake pedal, the brakes bit hard almost jerking me forward! I want that in my E36. Sharp, biting brakes.

The question is, do I simply replace with the same standard equipment, but because it is new it will bite like the 335, or will I never get that sharp stop on my 328?

Turner offers an M3 Brake conversion kit: Turner Motorsport - Item# 325toM3brakes - E36 M3 Front Big Brake Conversion For E36 318i/325i/323i/328i - E36, is that advisable? I read other forums that say it is not easy to install M3 brakes into an E36? Are there any concerns I should have due to the fact that mine is a convertible? Will this really provide the bite I am looking for? This car is not for racing, and am looking at this more from a safety perspective.

I notice that the brake conversion kit requires 17” rims (I have 16” stock), but I do want to upgrade to the 17” Double Spoke original M3 rims anyways. A further question would then be, if I put on the new rims, I have the option of purchasing 7.5inch wide for the front and 8.5inch wide for the rear… do I rather stick with 7.5inch all round? Or 8.5inch all round? As this would assist in tire rotation, or do I stagger them and not rotate. I have also read up that BMW do not recommend rotation?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 08:11 AM
n00b

///E36 is on a distinguished road
I dont think that you should do such a drastic upgrade, if you say you're after safety the standard oem parts will do just fine, you should also look into a brake fluid change and have a close look at the condition of the brake lines, master cylinder etc.

If you want you could also look into standard discs with a sportier brake pad, however you may find that these will be a bit noisier than standard and will tend to wear the disc a lot quicker.

Possibly get cross drilled rotors, so many options depends on what you want really.

I do think that an M3 brake conversion is overkill for your application.

Hope this helps
#3 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 08:18 AM
n00b

hacker is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thank you for the assistance ///E36,

I have heard that cross drilled rotors can warp in winter weather. I live in NJ and will still use the car during the winter. Any advice on rotors / pads that will be used all year round? I do not put much millage on the car, perhaps 2000 a year, but do drive it in all conditions.

Please expand on what you mean by noisier.

Thanks!
#4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 08:47 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I think that E46 330i brakes will also fit the E36. The M3 conversion kit from Turner is also a good option. Either staggering or same width all around would be fine -- your choice.

#5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 06:16 PM
n00b

threebackhands is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker View Post
Fellow Bimmer fans…

I need help in determining the correct brake upgrade to go for and the resulting rim size dilemma. I have a 99 E36 328ic, and feel that the brakes are very ‘soft’. I have quite a bit of travel in the brake pedal, and don't feel like the brakes bite hard. Dealer told me I need new Rotors and Pads. I drove an 07 335i the other day, and just barely touching the brake pedal, the brakes bit hard almost jerking me forward! I want that in my E36. Sharp, biting brakes.

The question is, do I simply replace with the same standard equipment, but because it is new it will bite like the 335, or will I never get that sharp stop on my 328?

Turner offers an M3 Brake conversion kit: Turner Motorsport - Item# 325toM3brakes - E36 M3 Front Big Brake Conversion For E36 318i/325i/323i/328i - E36, is that advisable? I read other forums that say it is not easy to install M3 brakes into an E36? Are there any concerns I should have due to the fact that mine is a convertible? Will this really provide the bite I am looking for? This car is not for racing, and am looking at this more from a safety perspective.

I notice that the brake conversion kit requires 17” rims (I have 16” stock), but I do want to upgrade to the 17” Double Spoke original M3 rims anyways. A further question would then be, if I put on the new rims, I have the option of purchasing 7.5inch wide for the front and 8.5inch wide for the rear… do I rather stick with 7.5inch all round? Or 8.5inch all round? As this would assist in tire rotation, or do I stagger them and not rotate. I have also read up that BMW do not recommend rotation?

Thank you!
Hi,
I have a similar situation and would like to upgrade my 1999 328ic brakes for safety reasons. What did you end up doing?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)