E36 BMW Instrument Cluster flickering - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 04:31 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mishle is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy

Hello to everyone,
I have a 1993 BMW 318i. Recently, my cluster stopped working from time to time. When the car is cold and it is started it works. If the car is turned off after 30 min and then turned back on, none of the cluster gauges would work (gas, heat, rpm, speed), except that they may flicker. I know that when I drive, and I go over rail tracks, it does not get fixed, so it is not like a shortage of cable somewhere. Also, due to that it works when the car is cold, it does not seem to be a fuse as well. If someone could give me at least an idea of where to look to fix it, I would really appreciate your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 05:06 PM
2nd Gear Member

Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute Mach 5 has a reputation beyond repute
The printed circuit board in the instrument cluster expands as the car heats up and shinks as it gets cold. This leads to the failure of solder joints on this circuit board. Some have tried and had some luck reflowing the solder joints on the back of the circuit boards and restoring the use of their guages. Most have had to replace the cluster altogether. And to the forum.
Ben

"It's not because I'm an aggressive driver, it's because I'm an idiot" actual quote from my wife.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 06:52 PM
5th Gear Member

Autotechnica is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the same problem with my dash lights. As the car gets older there's nothing you can do. I've had to resolder lots of wiring because the coating wore off and things were shorting out. Nice car, reminds me of my 318 when I first got it

good luck,

Bry

<u>1994 M-Technic M42 Saloon - Trillium Chapter - 5130</u>
Stock - 2866lbs Current - 2670lbs
<a href='http://www.geocities.com/mtechnik42' target='_blank'>- VIEW MY MODS AND PICS</a>
<a href='http://www.automobile-technik.com' target='_blank'>- PARTS FOR SALE</a>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...tc=1&quot;&gt;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)