E36 Blues...... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Angry E36 Blues......

Just reached 96,000 miles on o.d. & just walked out to my car in the driveway, to see a small puddle of coolant under the upper radiator neck...
We all know this is a common problem in the e36.

Question ??? Opinions???

Stock plastic radiator or all Aluminum ???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 02:58 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
I would think aluminum.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 03:37 PM
A NEW DAY RISES...

RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
Sorry Johnny! Damned Northeast weather and time is all I would think. I lost the cheapo clamps on my rear exhaust a few months back and needed them welded - and mine wasn't even from rot, just cheap parts. Strange how they make such great cars, then skimp on certain parts. All about the $$ I suppose...

Go with the aluminum upgrade for your baby - you've put so much heart and soul into her, go with quality. Hope all is well my friend. Ciao.

2008 ///M5 with Eisenmann race exhaust "Athena"
2013 VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan 2L Turbo
RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
RIP 2002 Z3 Roadster 2.5i - VF Supercharged, 5-speed, Brembos etc.
Turkey ///M Car Fleet Commander
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Neutral Member

martyyyn is on a distinguished road
Aluminum everytime! if you have the cash,

Good luck!

Martin

#5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Science Roolz!

SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
stock will last another 96k miles, aluminum if you want bling factor. I went aluminum when I changed mine for the bling factor, but then I just ended up trading it in, so it was a waste of money.

2011 Mazda2
1990 Mazda Miata
#6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAHAB323IS View Post
stock will last another 96k miles, aluminum if you want bling factor. I went aluminum when I changed mine for the bling factor, but then I just ended up trading it in, so it was a waste of money.
Quote:
I went aluminum
Hey.....SHAHAB323IS....Do you remember what Brand it was? I am most likely going to go stock OEM....I do have other upgrades planned this spring, but if the price is right, I may go with the all aluminum radiator....

johnny,

#7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Science Roolz!

SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
I got one from carr industries on a group buy

2011 Mazda2
1990 Mazda Miata
#8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I got one from carr industries on a group buy
Carr industries, ok,thanks!

johnny,

#9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 11:29 PM
3rd Gear Member

Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light
DEF upgrade to an all aluminum radiator. You have to get a new one anyway...might as well upgrade. I have a mishimoto aluminum radiator and I love it. It really does make the car run noticeably cooler.

The stock plastic radiator is one of the culprits of the terrible e36 cooling system. If you go plastic again, they are just time bombs and they WILL go off on you at some point....dont take the chance. Its either $300 now or $1500 later for a head gasket.

99 Dakar M3
|Conforti|Sharked|TC Kline SA|DEPO||BBS|M50 MANIFOLD|UUC|DDM|SPARCO|OEM X BRACE||SSK|ECS TUNING|MISHIMOTO|
#10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 08:22 AM
Neutral Member

martyyyn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
An aluminum rad is not just blink factor, a good quality aluminum rad will be 20/30% more efficient than stock, also lighter & will last longer, certainly to be seriously considered when modding & upping BHP, IMHO

Cheerts Martin

#11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Science Roolz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montizzle View Post
DEF upgrade to an all aluminum radiator. You have to get a new one anyway...might as well upgrade. I have a mishimoto aluminum radiator and I love it. It really does make the car run noticeably cooler.

The stock plastic radiator is one of the culprits of the terrible e36 cooling system. If you go plastic again, they are just time bombs and they WILL go off on you at some point....dont take the chance. Its either $300 now or $1500 later for a head gasket.
Do you have an aftermarket water temp gauge? If not then I'm going to doubt it ran cooler, unless you used water wetter or something or the core was significantly larger.

They are time bombs, but ones that go off every 100k miles. If you plan on still having your car in 100k miles, and don't mind spending extra money then go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyyyn View Post
An aluminum rad is not just blink factor, a good quality aluminum rad will be 20/30% more efficient than stock, also lighter & will last longer, certainly to be seriously considered when modding & upping BHP, IMHO

Cheerts Martin
The only way it will be more efficient is if the core is noticeably larger. Running a lower temp thermostat, lower temp fan switch, and water wetter will probably do about the same. How is it lighter? The stock one has an aluminum core, could be wrong on that though. I forget when I replaced mine. The only reason to get an aftermarket one would be to get a larger core with all aluminum ends, vs the stock plastic ones, all of which would add weight.

I'm just saying if you don't mind spending the extra money, go for it. However you could replace 2 or 3 oem ones to equal the price of one all aluminum one.

2011 Mazda2
1990 Mazda Miata
#12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 09:48 AM
3rd Gear Member

Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light Montizzle is a glorious beacon of light
Larger core. Water wetter. OEM BMW coolant. Yes, it ran cooler.

99 Dakar M3
|Conforti|Sharked|TC Kline SA|DEPO||BBS|M50 MANIFOLD|UUC|DDM|SPARCO|OEM X BRACE||SSK|ECS TUNING|MISHIMOTO|
#13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 09:49 AM
3rd Gear Member

BTW, do you have an AP1 or AP2 S2k? Im looking at picking one up as a daily in the near future. Its garage queen time for the M3

99 Dakar M3
#14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member

jmo69 is on a distinguished road
Garage
I guess I'm good for a few years, the sticker on the top of mine has an inspected date from like 2002 on a Behr radiator. Still has the plastic t-stat housing.

Cosmos schwartz metalic Sparco strut brace factory X-brace 55w 6000k HID w/LED angel eyes smoked Lamin-X blacked out sidemarkers,tails and brakelights. DDM smoked corners and pedals. 35% tint all around, Prosport water temp and oil pressure gauges, Home Depot lip, M3 rear diffuser ASC-T delete.
#15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 12:33 AM
Neutral Member

garbone is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to garbone
Go aluminum. I've hadmy Ebay radiator for about 7 years on my M3 and havent had a single temp problem. every 5-6 months i drive from El Paso, Tx. to San Diego, CA. and my temp never raises past 3/4 of the gauge. about 90 percent of the time its in middle.

I got my ebay radiator for 289 or something around there shipped. went threw the OEM replacements three times. even had to ghetto rig an Automatic's radiator on my standard just to get er home. never doin OEM again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)