BMW Werkz banner

e36 Autocross Thread

8K views 89 replies 13 participants last post by  Kevin325i 
#1 ·
Well the autocross season starts here (Wisconsin) in about 3 days with the first local autocross. I said i was gonna start a thread for this so hear it is.

Since the autocross is this sunday I've been looking into getting a 4 point harness to take in and out on race days. I've seen some that strap to the rear seats and then come up around the driver's seat. Anyone know where I could get the harness from?

It doesn't have to be like that one though, one that mounts to the floor would also be fine, thanks for the help.

Kevin

P.S. I'll make sure to post some pictures after sunday, if i can get the camera working.

#6 ·
For the guys in WI, check out this site: Madison Autocross

They've got all the dates listed and a rulebook online. Most of them are about 10 or 15 minutes from the madison area. But at the end of last summer there was a HUGE one at miller park. I don't think they're planning on doing that again.

Kevin

#8 ·
Kevin325i:
Great to have the opportunity to race on circuits. Can it be insured when damaging your car and be on circuit?

The only thing we have here are illigal street racing events, but that's nothing for me, because it is to dangerous :devil

I hope there are racing days when I go to Canada later this year. :cheers

#9 ·
Well the stuff I race in is low-speed autocross (less than 60 mph, normally) and the risks to the car are minimal cause it's in a large open parking lot for most of them. The one coming up is actually at an oval track.

Basically if you wipe out around a turn and nail a parked car you pay for your car, but the club ussually has special insurance that will pay for the car not at fault.

Most of the time the worst your gonna do for damage to your car is leave an orange scuff from a cone or two that comes off next time you wash it.

Kevin

P.S. I'm not sure about the rules with the highspeed autocrosses. Basically all I know is that you've got to have a roll bar and race harnesses and a bunch of other stuff. I don't do it cause I don't got the cash to put into that stuff. It's just nice to go and tear around in the car, slide some turns and not get a ticket for it.

#10 ·
Well, I made my mind. I am going to be in the next meeting on Saturday. So I can learn the rules and join the club. Then, hopefully, I will see you at the next event, whenever that is :confused .

PS: the only rough part is gonna be back and forth drive to Mad-town from Milwaukee :banghead :banghead .

#11 ·
I'll look around and see if there isn't a milwaukee section for the SCCA. There probably is, but it'd be cool to have some more bimmers there. Some lady drives an M roadster there and there was an M3 at a couple events. Oh yeah and there was a little old 320i that shows up sometimes too.

If there was one or two I'd say to make sure to make it would be any of the ones for the rock county airport. Mostly because it looks like it's going to be just cones in a big parking lot, i think those are the most fun.

Kevin

P.S. hopefully I'll have some pictures wheni get back.

#13 ·
New glaris, mmmmm that place has good krinle. Next time you're there pick some up.

Kevin

P.S. I think the yankee boys are a little to the east for us, WI: fat people, beer, and brats.... not just cows anymore. Hey that should be WI new slogan, we could like put it on our welcome to WI signs and stuff....

#15 ·
No doubt, my friends down here just have no idea what kind of drinking goes on up there.

i brought one of my good friends home (Racine) with me, and a week later on the way bask (to TN), he said, "dude, your family is a bunch of alcoholics!"

People down here just don't understand. You guys ever had O&H Kringle? (sorry its 2am, kinda hungry)

#17 ·
Well I'm back, complete with little plaque thingy for 1st place (*cough out of 1*) I only go 2 decent pictures for now because my dad was running like 5 cars after i was so he only had a chance to take a couple. I'll see if anyone else at the event took a picture.

Oh yeah and RogueSniper, don't bother going to the meeting unless you're REALLY wanting to go, you can just show up at the next event, the people are pretty friendly, just look for the green 325i.

Kevin

Attachments

#19 ·
Man, I'm now jealous of the cousine and the track events.

I have autocrossed previous cars, I just hate wearing out parts....

So your car is bone stock? Have any plans for suspension mods?

Keep the picks coming, your totally persuading me to hit the track!! :driving

#20 ·
For now it's stock. As soon as I get another 400 bucks I can finish paying off my parents for the car. Then once i get another 400 I'll get a nice chip from Bavauto (the tunable one) and I also like the looks of their sport springs cause it's only a 3/4 inch drop.

But for now I'm very pleased with the handling of the stock suspension. However my front balljoints are starting to go, and I fear my rear shock mounts are starting to go as well. Those pictures are both going only about 45 or 50 around a banked turn and you can see very little lean to the car.

It had a lot more to go till the back end would break, but I've had the car for a week and that wall is scary.

Kevin

P.S. the highlight of the day was when the C4 vette running before me lost control and fley into the ditch like 10 feet away from me as i was waiting to start my run. It was nuts, lots of fun though. :driving

#21 ·
Originally posted by Kevin325i@May 2 2004, 09:06 PM
Well I'm back, complete with little plaque thingy for 1st place (*cough out of 1*) I only go 2 decent pictures for now because my dad was running like 5 cars after i was so he only had a chance to take a couple. I'll see if anyone else at the event took a picture.

Oh yeah and RogueSniper, don't bother going to the meeting unless you're REALLY wanting to go, you can just show up at the next event, the people are pretty friendly, just look for the green 325i.

Kevin
DID you say (yours) GREEN 325i ?

Here is mine 325i, notice the color anybody?, LOL,

:lmao2 :lmao2

#22 ·
w00t, green 325i's represent. But yours looks to be a 95, mine's a 92.

Anyone here tried the SSR Competition rims? They're nice and light (like 16lbs) so eventually I'd like to maybe get a set of something like them. For now though my brand new potenza G009s are doing awesome, those 215s really stick.

Kevin

#23 ·
Hey, I'm an avid auto-xer too. They rule :)

The harnesses you're taking about are the Schroth Quick-fit harnesses. I'm going to look into a set also for my 328. They clip into the factory female seat belt plugs, you install and remove them in like a minute. Although it's not something you absolutely need, unless you're running really fat r-compound tires and are attending some really high speed auto-x's.

As far as rollbars and stuff. I've never heard of any auto-x requiring rollbars and harnesses, even high speed auto-x's, at most you'll need a SA2000 approved helmet.

Also, software isn't exactly the best use of money if you're just starting out with modding your car.

Don't get just springs without getting some better shocks/struts, or else you'll wear out your stock shocks quickly, and you'll be bouncing everywhere. If you're getting springs, get something like Bilstein Sports, or Koni yellows.

As for wheels, I currently run 17x8" BBS RK's. They're fairly inexpensive, and are very light, 16.5lbs, and very strong. There are a lot of racing teams using these wheels. And for tires, don't be afraid to run something wider if you get wider rims. Currently I'm on 235/40 Yoko ES100's, but I've thinking of getting a dedicated set of track wheels/tires and running 255 width tires all around :D.

Basically, don't worry too much about modding your car for now, unless you're replacing parts, just concentrate on learning some skills, and having fun.

#24 ·
Oh yeah I forgot to adress the harness issue. Going in there I was expecting to wish my ass was planted a little bit better but after the first run i was held in that seat pretty good.

I know a performance chip isn't the best use of the 400 bucks on the track, but for the little extra power, better fuel economy, and 500 rpms extra redline I feel it would be the best use for on and off the track.

Wheels and tires aren't going to be an option for awhile because I just got a brand new set for the 15 inchers and so far I like them(Potenza G009s). I'll be hanging onto them for awhile. They've got a pretty big sidewall (215/60/25s, just a little bigger than stock) but I ussually run the fronts at 50 psi and the backs at 45 psi and they handly awesome.

Anyone with a cup kit know how much it dropped your car? My brother got it for his 190 and it's awesome around town and on the track, but it's just too low as it can't make it over speed bumps without scraping.

Also, I'd like to get a set of sways. AUTOTECHNICA, this is to you (or anyone else that wants to step up) my 92 is after the 6/1 production date. If I order a new set of shocks and say my car is before then (so it would have the tab mounted sways) would the shocks fit? Then I could get some sways of an M3 and bolt them up.

Wow that was a lot.

Kevin

P.S. I DON'T want a huge drop for suspension or some 19" rims. I'd like to keep the car kind of sleeperish because it's green, and most people don't expect anything from a green car. This (and money) will probably be the reason I don't get the M-tech bumpers, I'll just paint the stock ones.

#26 ·
DUDE , if you get time. Post all the rules and requirements for me. Thats the only way I can skip the Saturday meeting. :D

I just installed new Brembo Slotted Rottors and Bosch Ceramic Pads. Front and rears. Took some pics so I am gonna post about it later on. :D

PS: Boston Green Metallic ROCKS. This color never looks old. Funny thing, my car looks like a 01 in paint department. RED, white , Black looks old easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.